Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in northern Illinois the temp. highs are about 20 degrees and the lakes are starting to freeze pretty fast. I live on a large system of 7 lakes that are all connected by large channels and creeks, so it makes for a great riding area. Anyways, many people are getting a little anxious(sp) and are heading out on the lake a little early. We have had numerous deaths on this system of lakes alone. Many people are breaking through the ice, or going out at night and not seeing open water in from of them and fall through. Just the other night a 27 year old man was coming back from the bar across the lake and ran into open water. His sled sank and his head hit the ice as it went under. They reported him missing and sent in divers. They found the body and about 30 ft. away they found the helmet with the head still in it! So, this is just let tell everyone to be careful out there and make sure the ice is safe before going out.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wow, that is terrible. Most of the lakes were safe around here until the latest warm spell, now they are freezing again. My parents lake had 40+ fish houses break through.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It sure is cold here in northern IL - when do you think it will be safe to go out on the chain?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the truth came out this weekend.

With the story of the guy falling through the ice and losing his head.

The guy that fell through was riding with a friend that night. They both left the bar and were riding across the lake. The friend was riding when he looked behind him and didn't see him. So he turned around to look for him. The guy had fallen through and was crawling out onto the ice. The friend that turned around to look for him was going to fast to slow down and hit him while he was crawling out. The guy has been keeping this quiet for a long time now. He just went to the police and confessed, I guess it got to him. Too sad...

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
up here in northeastern wi the lakes are froze good with 18 to 25 inches of ice.i went out riding on saturday for the first time this season

·
Registered
975 Posts
My God! That's just nasty! Buddy that hit him has to live with that horror as well. Feelbad for everyone involved.Still can't believe it....Sheesh!

·
Registered
268 Posts
man talk about cold its been like -30c the last 2 week here in north bay ont. and snow well thats been crazy too be have recived 40cm in the last two weeks im loving it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in central maine we are having a cold wave, its about -5. We had someone run over a man out on a lake one night, that was out worst story.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
here in ND i walked across a lake on Veterans Day, and was driving a half ton pickup across in the beginning to mid december...[:D] havent been out lately to see how thick ice is, but im sure its at least 2 feet now, in december it was around 15-18 inches,

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yeah, it is thick here too. It has been thick for a long time now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts