Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies 1993 Polaris XLT (SP)? I beleive has a huge amount of track stretch, the rear wheel adjusters are all the way back and still is not enough. Everything looks fine and he is going to measure the track tonight but does anyone have an idea on what to look for. From looking at the Ploaris parts site it seems to me than the fron shock is mounted in the wrong hole, the picture on the fiche shows the lower hole but my buddies pic seems to indicate its mounted on the top hole. Could this problem be the skid is not rising low enough to keep the track tensioned? This amount of sag is causing the track to jump to right side.

Thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
He has the front shock in the upper position which makes the suspension ride stiffer in the front. It has no effect on the track being too loose. If the adjuster bolts are all the way out, then there's not much you can do except get another track. Looking at the pics, does it even have lugs? Looks like it's just tired out.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
are the rear axle blocks hitting the rear opening on the slide rails? If so, time for a new track.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The axle blocks are right to the back, he is going to measure the track tonight but it looks like it is time to buy a goo track. Wheel bearing seems alll good and the shaft bearings on the drive also seem good with no play.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The limiter straps are pulled quite tight which takes away from tension. Does the track ratchet now while riding? I run my tracks with 1 1/2" or so of free hang with no weight attached. Many others run their track much looser than Polaris's very tight spec. If it doesn't ratchet, runs true, and the track is in good shape, run it. Also check to see if the rear axle has spun and worn the quide holes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Seems to me like there's something else going on here. Like Bearings going out, wrong size track, or something else. Did he buy it this way or did something get replaced or repaired recently to cause this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He said it does make a rachet type sound and won't move when it does. He bought the sled this way a couple of years ago, just something to take the kids around the property. I'll have him loosen the straps. Anyone know off hand who makes a big wheel kit for this machine?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
A big wheel kit will take up some of the slack, but you can buy a good track cheaper and it doesn't take care of the problem. There is something else going on and that needs to be determined and fixed first. If you do get a different track, take the time to replace all the bearings. Cheap insurance. There are many good used and new take-off tracks available for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
if hes just taking the kids around the property I wouldn't do a big wheel kit. It shouldn't need it. they look to be in the $250-300 range. something else is wrong. I'd dig into it further

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll get an update from him tomorrow morning after he measures the track and adjusts the straps, he is going to take more pictures also. I saw 8 or so used tracks forsale around us so if it needs a track one can be found easily.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
203 Posts
something just does not look right with the rear of the skid. does it have the adjusting bolts turned all the way in?

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
rlichtenberg said:
You could put in a big wheel kit to take up some of the slack.
This is a bad idea.
The bigger wheels need an off set axle to do 2 things,
1 is to move the axle upwards so that the wheel isn't hanging low and getting broken that way,
and the other is for the amount of track it will take up.
deffinately NOT the cure you are looking for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have never seen a track stretch that much. It seems like the wrong track, was it driven this way? I was wondering if the torque arms could be in the wrong holes on the rails. I'm not even sure if there are extra holes for the front one. It looks like the rear one is in the front hole, I can't make it out very well. It's supposed to be in the rear hole anyway but I don't think it will make the track that loose. Maybe it is some defective track.

·
Registered
47 Posts
go to tracksusa.com and get a new track. the tracks that they have are the same that you get from the dealer except they dont have arcticcat or polaris stanmped on them i've gotten 3 ripsaw tracks from them and havnt had a problem yet

heres a special that they have right now
Premium 121 x 15 x 1.25 Ripsaw Tracks!!

9921 standard 2-ply - $379
High performance on and off trail track

MADE BY CAMOPLAST

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looking at the Polaris website that axle should be able to go back far enought to tighten the track. The block that holds the bolt to adjust the rear axle is not even showing yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My buddy measured the track and it is 122.5, that doesn't seem like a whole lot of stretch but maybe it is. He started loosening the front straps last night and I got some more pictures. Last year it was taken out, he had to adjust the rear wheels to take up some slack. This year the sled will not move with the track like this.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have him check to see if he can pull the rear wheels back by hand when it is up in the air. to me it looks like the adjusting bolts are not long enough. on the last picture the block that holds the adjusting bolt looks like it is close to where the axle is. Have him try longer bolts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dunno if I'm seeing things right but those rails look like they are bent badly, especially the 3rd pic from the bottom. Maybe you do need new skid and a new track.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts