Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clipped from Max Bits this evening.

Rumor Mill

Yamaha's new Phazer marks a new direction in snowmobile design. One of the comments we hear is that it makes a great sled, but more power would make it even better. One of our sources tells us that there might be a similarly designed machine with about 130 ponies under the "hood". Given the lighter weight of the Phazer, a powerplant like that could give it the best horsepower-to-weight ratio we've seen on modern sleds, and would give the Phazer the boost it needs for seasoned veteran riders. Big brother to the Phazer? Boy, we hope this rumor is true.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Originally posted by Zrxpilot
[br]Clipped from Max Bits this evening.

Rumor Mill

Yamaha's new Phazer marks a new direction in snowmobile design. One of the comments we hear is that it makes a great sled, but more power would make it even better. One of our sources tells us that there might be a similarly designed machine with about 130 ponies under the "hood". Given the lighter weight of the Phazer, a powerplant like that could give it the best horsepower-to-weight ratio we've seen on modern sleds, and would give the Phazer the boost it needs for seasoned veteran riders. Big brother to the Phazer? Boy, we hope this rumor is true.
Please say it's coming from Yami, and they release something like that before my FX comes...

80hp, 130hp, or more, it will prolly still be a fun sled! The mountain riders could use more HP!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yeah, a lot of people have begun calling that rumored sled the Exciter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You got my attention! Yammie VP told me last year, just prior to the Phazer release that it (phazer) was going to be the basis/kick off for several new models to come. He said they really want to diversify their product line so the consumers have more choices to meet their riding style. I'm giving it 2 more years to see what happens before I buy anything new.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
that could be fun !!! light weight sled with big hp

·
Registered
474 Posts
So I have heard from a dealer test driver, they already rip pretty darn good with 80 hp. 20 more would be a nice gain though. Don't forget, it's not that big of a sled, so power to weight ratio is huge. And also, there is tons of time for them to release another same style sled.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
130hp phazer? That might be a 4 stroke id consider buying...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
btu then again you could buy a phazer 500 and put a turbo in it and get i think it was 280+ hp now that could be allot of fun in the powder/ waterskipping. any body heard how the 4 stroke sleds are doing in watercross?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I think the turbo phazers are making 140hp with moderate boost and 180hp with high boost. But for less money you could get a M1000 or Summit 1000 and have more power with a couple good mods.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i agree for that much money i would just buy a larger sled that makes that much hp stock way more relaible. wow sorry gusy i looked at the page in sledheads again and i was lookign at the apex which with a turbo can make over 350 hp. but the tage 2 turbo for the phazer put out 160+ hp. sorry about that

·
Registered
667 Posts
I doubt they would put an inline four cylinder 600 in the phazer chassis. The R6 motor is made for high revs, like 14 000 rpms, and centrifugal clutches makes that impractical unless they put a reduction gear on it a'la Apex. Reduction gear = more weight + more rotating mass and that's counterproductive in the lightweight phazer.
The more likely solution is two essentially YZF 450 cylinders on one crank a'la the phazer 500. Hey, whatever makes 120+ hp, right?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think the reason why they don't have a r6 engine in a snowmobile is because it isn't much lighter than the rx1 w/ the r1 engine in it

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]I think the turbo phazers are making 140hp with moderate boost and 180hp with high boost. But for less money you could get a M1000 or Summit 1000 and have more power with a couple good mods.
ya to reach 180 hp is doing pretty much everything to mod the motor to gain that kind of hp the biggest hp turbo i saw was the boondocker side mount @160 hp then other mods and 180 is achievable. i saw a 176 hp phazer sumwhere on the net. i got a phazer now to get sum extra hp the dealer is gonna cahnge teh ecu settings so i can gain about 5 hp then my dad is getting it done to his apex to get close to 10hp.

180hp + phazer= your gonna need a seat belt and duct tape :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.