Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 1990 Arctic Cat 340 Jag. It says "Use Leaded Fuel" on the dash/hood. I recently purchased this snowmobile (last week) and the original owner said he always used regular unleaded fuel. Should I be using Leaded Fuel? Leaded fuel is not available for purchase in my area. Is there a lead substitute I can add to the unleaded fuel? If so, what is the brand name and where can I buy it? Will it hurt the motor if I don't use leaded fuel?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
A two stroke engine doesn't have any reason to run leaded fuel as long as the octane rating is correct for the engine in question.
Back in the days of leaded fuel the lead was added to increase the octane rating and also helped to cushion the valves on four stroke engines.
The new fuels do have the correct octane and newer four stroke valves are made of material that can run without the lead cushion.
As long as the octane rating is correct you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by goeland
[br]There is still leaded gas in the states. I didn't know that

Thanks
No, there is no leaded gas in the US. They haven't had leaded gas for many many years now..at least to my knowledge.

Just so you know he is from Canada. I didn't know they had it up there either...I figured the US would be the last to get rid of it, since we are the ones to blame for all of the pollution and everything. [;)]

Guess the 'ol phrase "Blame Canada", can be used since obviously you guys up north had it in the 90's. [:p]

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Are you sure somebody didn't just put that sticker on the dash?
All cars stopped using leaded gas since early 70s and I doubt AC would build a sled that requires it 15 years later.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't remember leaded gas in the 90's. But wha the hell.

Just give it regular gas and she should be fine.

Have a good ride

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the original sticker says use leaded gas. To those of you wondering if you can still buy leaded gas... yes you can... in both the U.S. and Canada... it is just extremely rare for a station to sell it. I know this because the guys driving some late 60's and early 70's muscle cars complain about how hard it is to find stations that sell it. I am pretty sure there are no stations selling it in my province. I haven't heard of any 1980 + cars using leaded gas... that's why I was so suprised that this snowmobile says "use leaded gas".

Either way, I'd like to thank everybody for their input. I will continue to run "unleaded" gas. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]

Thanks
No, there is no leaded gas in the US. They haven't had leaded gas for many many years now..at least to my knowledge.

Just so you know he is from Canada. I didn't know they had it up there either...I figured the US would be the last to get rid of it, since we are the ones to blame for all of the pollution and everything. [;)]

Guess the 'ol phrase "Blame Canada", can be used since obviously you guys up north had it in the 90's. [:p]
There is leaded gas in both U.S. and Canada, its called Avgas. Piston Aircraft use leaded fuel 100 Low Lead is the common one. In fact one of the guys in I think it was Slednecks 7 used 100LL in a Cat.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Yes there is still leaded gas sold in the US. If you happen to be looking for some, look near your local race track.I know of 3 place within 5 miles of me thar have it.You can also buy a lead additive from auto parts stored to put in unleaded gas.

Erick is 100% correct. The older motors don't have hardened valve seats. When unleaded came out,the automakers started hardening the seats.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]

Thanks

WTF[xx(]

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Learn somethin' new everyday. [;)]

·
Registered
862 Posts
^^^Yes yours and goeland's posts just brought an abundance of info for the rest of us to enjoy. From me to you, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts

CHINA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts