Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, now i know where NOT to get my parts. I live 2 miles from Leaders Marine (Arctic Cat dealer amongst other lines). Purchased a service manual for my 99 ZL600 just in case. 2 weeks later, sled wouldn't start. Followed diagnosis in Arctic Cat manual. Ignition timing sensor is out of spec low...by quite a lot. Purchased a new ignition timing sensor from Leader's Marine. Before installing on my sled, tested the resistance of new part. The new part was further out of spec than the one on my sled (Ohm wise). Dug deeper. Stator took a dump. Stator is replaced and sled runs fine. Took new Igntion Timing Sensor back to Leaders Marine. No returns on electrical part. Ok, then i want a new part that is in spec. The other 2 on their shelf were out of spec too. I was told that my meter is wrong, but my meter is measuring the same as the one at their shop that they used to test their other 2. Hmmmmm. I was told they would exchange for another new one, but that's it...even if it is out of spec. Guess where i'm NOT going to buy any parts. EVER!!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Sorry man. it always sucks when we can't get the parts we need. It seems like some dealers are starting to get sloppy lately. Hopefully this wont ruin your season, and i hope you can find parts soon man! It's almost faster for you to buy parts online (even if it takes 3-4 days to ship them) at least most parts we've bought online work. Good luck man!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doomer67 said:
Sorry man. it always sucks when we can't get the parts we need. It seems like some dealers are starting to get sloppy lately. Hopefully this wont ruin your season, and i hope you can find parts soon man! It's almost faster for you to buy parts online (even if it takes 3-4 days to ship them) at least most parts we've bought online work. Good luck man!
Sled is up and running again. Looking for people to ride with. I'm in the Kalamazoo area. Was out riding earlier today and it's melting fast!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
No Return's on Electrical Part's
Is pretty standard, whether you go to a sled dealer, auto part's store, motorcycle shop, or pretty much anywhere else.
Most part's store have a sign at the counter that state's this clearly.

The reason behind this is, once an electrical part has been installed, they have no way of knowing that it has'nt been overpowered the instant electricity is applied to it, due to something else in the circuit being out of spec.

It is what it is.

Next time if your concerned that a new part may also be out of spec, take a multimeter with you and test before buying.
Or have the store test it first, the vast majority of place's will have no problem doing this for you.
If they won't test for you, go to a different store, that will.

Rick
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I agree with doomer67. I buy alot on line with very little trouble.It's sometimes nice to go to the dealer for parts just to look at the new sleds. I have had similar problems with the local dealer in Jackson. Now I will drive the 40 minutes one way to go to Coldwater, Mi to Planet Powesports. These guys bend over backwards to help. Good customer service is getting hard to find.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
we buy parts from Browns Leisure world and stuff, but the only thing i don't like about browns is that since they are in Canada it takes stuff like a week to get here. Which can at times be a pain. Ohwell i'm just glad that you got your sled running again, that's the important thing.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
jburke said:
doomer67 said:
Sorry man. it always sucks when we can't get the parts we need. It seems like some dealers are starting to get sloppy lately. Hopefully this wont ruin your season, and i hope you can find parts soon man! It's almost faster for you to buy parts online (even if it takes 3-4 days to ship them) at least most parts we've bought online work. Good luck man!
Sled is up and running again. Looking for people to ride with. I'm in the Kalamazoo area. Was out riding earlier today and it's melting fast!
hey make it easy on your self and come to quality products in plainwell my family ownes it and we can make sure you get every thing you need at better prices too. screw leaders marine i had a old ski doo so i went down there and ordered a part for it last year never got it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jd070 said:
jburke said:
doomer67 said:
Sorry man. it always sucks when we can't get the parts we need. It seems like some dealers are starting to get sloppy lately. Hopefully this wont ruin your season, and i hope you can find parts soon man! It's almost faster for you to buy parts online (even if it takes 3-4 days to ship them) at least most parts we've bought online work. Good luck man!
Sled is up and running again. Looking for people to ride with. I'm in the Kalamazoo area. Was out riding earlier today and it's melting fast!
hey make it easy on your self and come to quality products in plainwell my family ownes it and we can make sure you get every thing you need at better prices too. screw leaders marine i had a old ski doo so i went down there and ordered a part for it last year never got it.

I'll head to Plainwell next time. Been there before. The guys at the parts counter were great. Went to Leader's Marine since they are so close and i was able to make it there before closing time. Lesson learned. Comment on the electrical part...found it disturbing that they refused to supply a new "in spec" part. I would have accepted a bulletin from Arctic Cat stating a misprint in service manual, etc... It's water under the bridge and i won't be back mainly because of the way i was treated. Enough about that.

Side note. Was out riding today (80 miles) west of South bend. Ditch baning mostly. Ya know, i think my shocks have seen their better days. Pretty much just spring for suspension with no dampening. It has Fox shocks on it. Were those stock? They don't appear to be rebuildable. Looking to replace them most likely this summer. Ideas on what to put on? Looking at both fronts and the one underneath.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
i won parts from there on ebay bout 3yrs ago,and it took a month to get them,and came postage due,and i left negative feedback after they didnt refund shipping costs,and left negative on me saying i was unpatient and jerk
 
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
600ZRTer said:
I agree with doomer67. I buy alot on line with very little trouble.It's sometimes nice to go to the dealer for parts just to look at the new sleds. I have had similar problems with the local dealer in Jackson. Now I will drive the 40 minutes one way to go to Coldwater, Mi to Planet Powesports. These guys bend over backwards to help. Good customer service is getting hard to find.
And when you find a good dealer, purchase from them repeatedly. Don't be like some people I hear about who always ask them to look up part numbers or other info so they can purchase everything elsewhere just to save a buck.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
600ZRTer said:
I agree with doomer67. I buy alot on line with very little trouble.It's sometimes nice to go to the dealer for parts just to look at the new sleds. I have had similar problems with the local dealer in Jackson. Now I will drive the 40 minutes one way to go to Coldwater, Mi to Planet Powesports. These guys bend over backwards to help. Good customer service is getting hard to find.
And when you find a good dealer, purchase from them repeatedly. Don't be like some people I hear about who always ask them to look up part numbers or other info so they can purchase everything elsewhere just to save a buck.
I've always believed in supporting local dealers even if i can get it cheaper online or drive 100 miles. Customer service is worth a ton to me. You usually get what you pay for...you can always find someone to do it cheaper and worse.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,666 Posts
MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
And when you find a good dealer, purchase from them repeatedly. Don't be like some people I hear about who always ask them to look up part numbers or other info so they can purchase everything elsewhere just to save a buck.
^^ I totally agree with this. I buy alot from Leaders and I've never had a problem with them. The only complaint I have about them is a common complaint for most dealers. If you special order parts(which most things are) they'll tell you it'll be in in 2 days, why must they lie about it? I've told them at the counter before there is no need to lie to me, I'm well aware it'll be 3-4 days and your just pissing me off by telling me otherwise. They finally quit doing it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GotMud said:
MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
And when you find a good dealer, purchase from them repeatedly. Don't be like some people I hear about who always ask them to look up part numbers or other info so they can purchase everything elsewhere just to save a buck.
^^ I totally agree with this. I buy alot from Leaders and I've never had a problem with them. The only complaint I have about them is a common complaint for most dealers. If you special order parts(which most things are) they'll tell you it'll be in in 2 days, why must they lie about it? I've told them at the counter before there is no need to lie to me, I'm well aware it'll be 3-4 days and your just pissing me off by telling me otherwise. They finally quit doing it.
Agreed, better to be honest up front. By the way, ordered some parts from Glenwood in Dowagiac...actually, i think they might be closer to Decatur. Anyhow, my new stator was in next day. In my days of working at a John Deere dealership, there was a price difference to the dealer if parts were ordered "machine down...next day", or "stock order...3 days". Wonder if it's similar with sled parts?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top