Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..My 96 ZRT 600 motor has a base gasket leak (the huge gasket between the cylinders and case). Pisses me off because I replaced it 1200 miles ago when I did a preventive maintenance top end rebuild. I even used the $50 OEM gasket.

I have checked the torque of the cylinder bolts, they are good.

Now, when I did the rebuild, I remember pulling the cylinder heads then the cylinders. I had antifreeze go EVERYWHERE and down into my crank. Took me forever to make sure I had no more antifreeze in my crank. I want to avoid that this time.

What is the proper method and should I buy a new head gasket again or put some kind of goop on this one?

Should I take the cylinder heads to a machine shop and have them check for flatness? I wonder what that would cost me.. and if they are not flat.. to flatten them.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would think that pulling the lowest hose should drain enough coolant to pull the head. You could try using a large square as a homemade flatness indicator. Not perfect but should be close enough to determine if experts need to be involved. No idea on the cost to shave a head.

What are you at for torque? Might be able to go up a couple pounds. I had to do this on the wifes rebuild. Then had to really wipe the joint down well to determine that it was not leaking. Otherwise it takes a good run to burn off any water that collected in the gasket space. If you understand my meaning.

·
Registered
108 Posts
like picman said. use a square to check for flatness. if it were me, I would load the gasket up with hi temp silicone to insure that any gap gets filled. IM not sure about the cats, but I know on the polaris cases there is a drain plug at the bottom of the case to drain out anything inside the crankcase.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips. Going to have to wait a few days. We are getting 12-20 inches of snow. I am going to ride it and just add antifreeze for a few days.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Can I come and live at your house the rest of the winter? If it weren't for the measly one inch we got the other day, I could just about be out mowing the lawn.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ Sure. You cook? [lol8]

Winter has sucked here, as usual. Trails open less than 1 month total all combined

1 - 6 of 6 Posts