Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 Indy 650.

Front heat exchanger has some pretty deep grooves from the studs (maybe track was too loose)

Its now leaking (not pouring, but dripping) I am planning a trip tomorow out of town. will this get worse? Can I add the crap you put into cars to stop leaks in rads?

Please let me know soon!!

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
NO...don't ride man...or you'll be in real trouble, engine rebuild AND new exchanger.

Those exchangers are aluminum, I am no welder, but I'd take it to a real good welding shop (not all shops can do a good job on aluminum) and see if they can weld it shut for you.

Otherwise...replace that exchanger before you ride again. If it's leaking out at idle, it will be really pissing out the antifreeze at speed.

Go rent a sled for the weekend, might cost you 2 - 300 for the weekend, but it's better than sip'n beer while your buds are pounding the powder.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I totally agree with 500, you're going to regret riding it. Same thing happened to me with ice spikes in my track, and I couldn't get that forward exchanger welded up because of the ridges in it, so I had to replace it.
It was a real bear to get changed out, too...
It doesn't take much to blow these small aluminum engines from heat. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you know of anyone with a TIG or a good mig welder they can take care of it quick. Just clean it really good with a stainless steel brush first, you don't want any impurities.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is a silicon base lube that might seal it up, we use it on steam boilers at work. It will hold up to 35 lbs. You would have to empty all the anti freeze out and pour in about 1 pint. Its no long fix but I am sure it would work for the weekened. Oh yeah, you havea to be hit 180 deg for the chemicals to mix. Just go to a heating contractor and ask for boiler sealant (we use hercules) it will cost about $12. Dont forget to put antifreeze back in after it seals. IF you have any questions I will be back on later tonight.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys.

Curious why my studs chewed it up so badly. I am going to use the wifes sled, she will have to stay home!

·
Registered
290 Posts
The studs chew it up when you run a loose studded track or too big of studs and more so if you run it loose on a sled with reverse

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another thing to use that I have on my XLT is the plastic steel you can buy at your auto supply dealer. It is a 2-part compound you mix together. Use the amount you need and stick it on. Put it on mine two years ago and still works great!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts