Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 00 500 XC SP is a bit lean when idleing. Heres a pic of the plugs after I just drove it around keeping it at about 1/3rd throttle. Where should I start with adjustments, air or fuel screws?
[attachment=54076]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
nothing wrong with them. light tan or cardboard color is what you want. but you are on a safe track of checking yourself. do some trail riding. and if you have made a jetting change stop a lot at first and keep checking the plugs. as long as they are looking like that. keep going. as you start to ride a little faster in time you should start to get a carbon spot on the piston. as long as the plugs dont look white and you have some clean piston on the edges you are fine.

a lean condition at idle will usually make the sled pop or have a noticable hesitation when giving it gas to accelerate. lean at wide open usually makes the sled run better than it ever has. then it starts to make noises and run worse than it ever has.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its a bit lean because it has a bog when reving up before the clutch engages, if I half choke it that goes away. When I cleaned the carbs yesterday I reset the fuel screws to factory spec, guess I might try giving them a half turn.

·
Registered
685 Posts
IMO I also agree with MADCOW, those plugs from the pic you posted looks really good.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Lean usually means better performace, less bogging. Sometimes at the expense of a piston. Bogging could mean to RICH of a mixture, among other things.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Bog is always lean.
Rich is barble and stumble on it's self.
There is a definate difference and you don't want to mix them up for obvious reasons.

Try a little (a little goes a LONG ways) on the fuel screw.
If that doesn't get it you can either raise the needles 1 position in the clips, or try a larger pilot jet.

Remember to only adjust 1 part at a time so that you know exactly what you did and what each out come is.
Keep notes of exactly where your settings are and that will help too.

With your plugs looking as they do,
and with your little bog off the bottom,
I'd try the fuel screw about 1/4 turn on each carb and see if that does it.
Remember a little really does go a long ways and brown is good.

Madcow,
You, Team NFG, and a few others seem to have the most accurate info in general.
I've noticed this quite a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts