Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a good reminder to be careful out there. I know everyone thinks they are careful but this guy probably did too... Crossing roads, staying to the right on the trails... staying in control of your sled at speed and drinking/drugs... just things to think about. Most of us have been guilty of one or all of these things at some point, myself included, but just a reminder that the stakes can be high. Be safe out there. My thoughts are with his family.

Snowmobiler dies in U.P. incident
Associated Press
Published Monday, January 22, 2007

TOIVOLA, Mich. -- A Minnesota man was killed in a snowmobiling accident in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

Christopher Opseth, 27, of Alden, Minn., died early Sunday, police said. He was crossing a highway in Toivola, near Houghton, when he was struck by an oncoming truck.

Opseth was thrown from his snowmobile. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

The driver of the truck was not cited for any infractions. Police said they believe speed and alcohol were factors in the crash.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
There were two seperate incidents involving sledders being struck by vehicles at crossings. How hard is it to look both ways. My mom taught me that when I was like 3yrs old. It should be like second nature to people.

Keep you head up and your eyes and ears open out there people. We got a late start to the season and everybody is fired up right now but lets be smart.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I feel horrible for these people and their familes.
but they chose to drink and ride. they brought it on theirselves.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Another thing to watch out for, plow trucks and plow wings. Last year I approached a road crossing and was slowing down and I was looking straight ahead. When I stopped, about 5 ft shy of the pavement a plow came across in front, with the wing out to knock down the snowbank. While it missed be by 5-ft it was big, moving 15 mph and would have decapitated me as fast as a Sushi chef.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts