Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok we have had some snow here in pa so i got to ride for awhile and when you can do that you can get your sled pretty well dialed in, and thats something that i just figured out you can work on your sled as much as you can but without real life testing your just guessing!, also figured out that my new arctic cat 200+ dollar helmet fogs! and my 70 dollar one does not, also i spent plenty for a leather jacket but only wear the liner because the leather is way too warm, if your riding in like -25 it might be ok i guess, some things i found out about my sled is, carbides are great, now i have steering, dont even waste your money on those hardbars they are a joke, also you can never have too much traction, i need more studs in my track!also i found carb rebuilding and cleaning, along with proper jetting is a must!, also i hooked up a cyl temp gauges also, they are also a must too keep an eye on how the engine is running, without them your just guessing, and burning up a engine is a pricey guess! this was by far the best money i spent, it always best to ride with a friend if possable, i got stuck in a snow drift and burried my sled the track just spun and buried even deeper, had to dig it out myself,that wasent much fun, also if you are riding alone carry a cell phone! if you break down or crash its a lifesaver, these are just some of the things im learning as i go, i got to take some pics with my digtial camrea so i hope to post some of them soon. this is just the fourth time ive been out on my sled, and every time out i get to see what works and what is just hype![:D]

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Carrying my cell came in handy this year when i ran out of gas, stupid cap was stuck and showed i had a 1/4 left.
And digging out a sled IS way easier with two people, i found that out this year too.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I keep a small zip lock bag in my seat trunk. One thing that is always in there is a book of matches. Ya never know!

·
Registered
328 Posts
What i have found is a high altitude out door lighter at Mountain Equipment Co-op, you can dunk it under water, bring out and it lights with gloves on without having to dry it or anything. I find the matches always get damp and then don't work very well. You might want to try and find one if you can, i'll get some pics of it later for you all.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I always have a flashlight (mini maglight), a lighter and a pocket knife in my jacket pocket. I usually have a roll of bright orange tape with me too so if I see something that people might not see I can mark it off. I carry this along with the normal parts and tools that you should have with you anyway.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
A cell phone is a must.last winter we had a young man die alone on the trail.a cell phone would have saved his life.he wiped out and broke his legs badly. it was at night and it turned mild and rained through the night.about three hours before dawn it went down to about 15 below zero,buy the time they found him it was to late.its hard to think of that boy with his whole life ahead of him lieing there freezing to death,if only he had a cell phone,but in some places you cant get a signal.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I had an old cell phone that was still good for 911 that I stuck in the back of my sled in a ziplock baggie. I forgot about it for about 2 months of riding. Guess how many pieces it was in! At least 15, all over the place. Broke the bag open, screen here, battery there, screw here, plastic there, etc. Lmao.

-Dean

·
Registered
41 Posts
I usualy always carry my cellphone, but some times they don't work. I heard a saying some palce i forget where, but it goes something like, prepare all your gear to spend the night. That way you are alway ready. Always carry solar blankets and know how to make emergency shelter to stay warm and dry. I also carry my GPS with me where ever I go and remember to bring extra batteries. If money was no object a satlite phone would be nice. I would rather ride with 50 pounds on my back then be dead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts