Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:eek:)]i always like to read the articles in the mags on clutching but does anyone get anything out of it when it shows graphs and talks a lot of trig and geometry math?

the clutchs are a simple system if you let it be and look at one piece at a time. there is no perfect setup. thats why there is how many big companys and that much more shade tree or small companys. the system as a whole had no set peramiters because there are to many variables.
basic rules per components

more wieght pulls harder lowers rpm
same wieght more aggresive acts like a heavy wieght.

more spring pressure,primary,secondary, raises rpm and can slow shift.

helix angle, the higher the number the more it pulls and lowers rpm, can quicken shift but slow machine. these are the basic rules if you changed one thing at a time.

it gets tricky when you start looking at the little things these companys have to tune. all else the same you can play with a dozen primary springs and see major increases in speed and et and major losses in both. tricky but fun. its neat to sit on a lake and play to see what happens when i do this. before i spend 20 bucks on a hand book i would buy a spring or something to see what changes to the sled. when i had the xlt long before i got into clutching, i rode against a guy on the trail with the same sled with some clutch work, i had the pipes and evereything done but who did it did not do a good clutch job. there wasnt any point i could lose him. that made me mad because i had way more power.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I think that I am going to invest in that Eaalens?? clutch tuning book, but my AC has a Powerbloc and if that book doesn't cover those, it would be useless. I know it covers Comet, but anybody know where I can get tuning info for my Powerbloc.

Sorry Madcow...I wasn't much help to you, but clutch parts are expensive, so I'd invest in the manual and it will hopefully save you buying springs and weights that will not do you any good.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well with a little help from a good tuner you can save some money but there is no part that you couldnt make a kit from and have it work. clutching is very spicific. any changes to power wieght should be followed by clutching.
the books can help make a better educated decision so i cant knock them to hard but its all theory. untill you do it hands on you can read yourself crazy.lol. plus there is so much to gain.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
You can delete the post by clicking the little recycle bin along the top of that post. Only the poster and moderator/admin can see it.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I have two of AAEN's Tuning books. One on clutch tuning, and the other on carb tuning. Extremely informative!
I agree, clutch tuning is sort of a black art, and these books sure help. Not only is it a book; but it has graphs, charts and formula's to help you setup your own sled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts