Snowmobile Fanatics banner

LED LIGHTS ON A SLED

75K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  stevem5215 
#1 ·
LEDs on a sled they look great but a few things you need to know before doing. I've been installing lights on sleds and many other things for about 11 years. Now when installing lights on a sled if possible install a battery when doing so if you don't have a battery on the sled a sport bike battery is small and will fit many places. Tieing into the power suply of a sled can cause a fire! And on the newwer sleds can fry the brain not a cheap fix. LEDS are great they use no power and they are bright! When you install them on the running boards or up in the tunnel heres a tip take som siocone and run a bead aroun the lights this helps keep any moisture from getting to the 3m tape and they will stay on for a long time. And for you powder riders just about any led will work because powder is not that hard on them but for the Michigan riders like me powder can be hard to find and the trails throw some rocks and icy snow get some well made lights. any questions just ask i would love to answer any questions that will make you install easier for you. I do have some pics of battery installs I've done to give you some ideal what I'm taliking about. Thanks LED-DOCTOR I'm not a Doctor but I will take a look!

#3 ·
88400 said:
I must ask, at 12v drawing extremely little to no amperage how could LEDs cause a fire? They don't even get hot themselves?
Thats a goor question! Not really sure but have seen it happen and i also found it online were it said don't do it. I will try to find online were i found that. But sence i watched one burn up and it came down to the lights being hooked into the power source I have not sense Thats why I said it could cause a fire. So for the last 5 years I've custome installed Batteries to be on the safe side. As for the newer sleds the computer will pick up that there is somithing drawing from somewhere and it can cunfuse it enough for it to go bad. And most brains are not cheap. Trust me If i felt that just hooking into the system was the way to go I would say have at her. But I just want people to research it first I love this site and the people here and I just like to give a heads up. I will search for the site that is not for the tie ins to the sleds power sorces and post it. Thanks

#4 ·
Granted my sled is less technologically advanced than most, carbed thank god, I wouldn't worry about a computer. I honestly could not imagine 4 5" LED strips drawing 80mA each, info gotten here http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips/tech, most likely wired onto a small switch could possibly start a fire ya know. I'm in no way arguing what you say or know because lord knows you have A LOT more experience than I haha. Just with my electrical and automotive backround I'm just curious. I don't want to light my sled on fire either!

#6 ·
BTW I also put a 3amp fuse in line on the LEDs i did tonite on my sons for xtra insurance

#7 ·
Dekk85 said:
How do 12V lights look on a 9V system
They will work but not sure how bright though and some times if there isn't enough juice it will kill the lights.

xc600rmk said:
BTW I also put a 3amp fuse in line on the LEDs i did tonite on my sons for xtra insurance
That was smart and sense you said that you have some on your sled and they have been on for awhile I'm sure you are in the clear.

88400 said:
Granted my sled is less technologically advanced than most, carbed thank god, I wouldn't worry about a computer. I honestly could not imagine 4 5" LED strips drawing 80mA each, info gotten here http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips/tech, most likely wired onto a small switch could possibly start a fire ya know. I'm in no way arguing what you say or know because lord knows you have A LOT more experience than I haha. Just with my electrical and automotive backround I'm just curious. I don't want to light my sled on fire either!
I've seen that sight before they are price a little high for china made stuff but i like there chart its great for a referance. I have a simular style exept mine are made in the USA and I sell mine for $12 a 12 inch strip and I sell a coplete kit for $70 and thats 5 12 inch flexble strips and 2 4 foot strips with 3m backing for the running baords. Plus a flush mount switch some extra wire zip ties and wire loom all in one kit and thast whats on the F7 in my pics i added 2 lights for the head lights. And my shipping is free

#46 ·
They will work but not sure how bright though and some times if there isn't enough juice it will kill the lights.

That was smart and sense you said that you have some on your sled and they have been on for awhile I'm sure you are in the clear.

I've seen that sight before they are price a little high for china made stuff but i like there chart its great for a referance. I have a simular style exept mine are made in the USA and I sell mine for $12 a 12 inch strip and I sell a coplete kit for $70 and thats 5 12 inch flexble strips and 2 4 foot strips with 3m backing for the running baords. Plus a flush mount switch some extra wire zip ties and wire loom all in one kit and thast whats on the F7 in my pics i added 2 lights for the head lights. And my shipping is free
Where would I find your kit?

#8 ·
LED-DOCTOR said:
Dekk85 said:
How do 12V lights look on a 9V system

xc600rmk said:

88400 said:
I would like to order 1 set of Blue LED for my 550LX, not the performance sled but would really look cool. I have a battery source. Would you have basic install instructions for me. Shoot me an email and I'll gladly call you. I live in WI. P4Angling@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Mike

#9 ·
led doctor, im curious about putting some led's on my new dragon. I have the CFI or whatever they call it (FUEL INJECTED) but no battery. My question for you is, if a sled comes prewired for an accessory plug in for say a heated helmet shield, would wiring the led's to that accessory plug in cause a problem?

#10 ·
brnr17 said:
led doctor, im curious about putting some led's on my new dragon. I have the CFI or whatever they call it (FUEL INJECTED) but no battery. My question for you is, if a sled comes prewired for an accessory plug in for say a heated helmet shield, would wiring the led's to that accessory plug in cause a problem?
I have been doing some research on this because theres been lots of questions about it I have always just installed a battery. I talked with a guy that works on sled and he said that it would probly not be a problem if you tied into a power sorce like that but he said that he would fuse before and after the switch to be on the safe side. Hope this helps.

#12 ·
as long as u put an inline fuse in the wiring (i used a 3amp) u will be fine since the small fuse would blow long b4 the wiring got hot enuf to melt

#13 ·
RMK_Edge_700 said:
Hey I'm curious to know what kind of battery I should invest in my sled is carbed and i don't feel like insuring the thing so don't want to risk a fire.
Hey fuse it or if you want to play it safe walmart has a sport bike battery they are small and about $30

brnr17 said:
yes go ahead and use the accessory wire just fuse both sides of switch so just incase there isn't anything being thrown back to the stator.

#16 ·
LED-DOCTOR said:
RMK_Edge_700 said:
Hey I'm curious to know what kind of battery I should invest in my sled is carbed and i don't feel like insuring the thing so don't want to risk a fire.
Hey fuse it or if you want to play it safe walmart has a sport bike battery they are small and about $30

brnr17 said:
yes go ahead and use the accessory wire just fuse both sides of switch so just incase there isn't anything being thrown back to the stator.
Thanks Man

#17 ·
i bought LED's for my sled and what i did was instead of buying a lantern battery like my freinds did with theres, mine runs off my handwarmers, when the hand warmers are off during the day which makes most sense cause its nice during the day then hte LED's are off, at night when the hand warmers are on cause its colder the LED's are on i havnt had a problem with it yet and there on there 2nd season it works well

#18 ·
CatMan4Life said:
i bought LED's for my sled and what i did was instead of buying a lantern battery like my freinds did with theres, mine runs off my handwarmers, when the hand warmers are off during the day which makes most sense cause its nice during the day then hte LED's are off, at night when the hand warmers are on cause its colder the LED's are on i havnt had a problem with it yet and there on there 2nd season it works well
thats the input I'm looking for thanks Chris

#20 ·
LED-DOCTOR said:
CatMan4Life said:
im curious, do you have the exact total amperage that your kit installed would draw? i'd like to compare it to what a heated shield draws out of curiousity

#21 ·
brnr17 said:
LED-DOCTOR said:
CatMan4Life said:
im curious, do you have the exact total amperage that your kit installed would draw? i'd like to compare it to what a heated shield draws out of curiousity
Thats a good question I have a sled in the garage right now I will hook the fluke up to the lights and see what draw we have.

#22 ·
LED-DOCTOR said:
brnr17 said:
LED-DOCTOR said:
CatMan4Life said:
Thats a good question I have a sled in the garage right now I will hook the fluke up to the lights and see what draw we have.
sweet thanks

#24 ·
i want to put led's on my sled with no battery can i do it?

#26 ·
ChristopherM said:
bj.hardy said:
i want to put led's on my sled with no battery can i do it?
Yes i'm in the process of doing it now. just use some 9 volt batteries.
Are you just throing away the batteries or are You somehow re-charging them?