Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ME and my mom and uncle just went to the U.P. for some lake effect snow riding. My mom just bought a brand new 2003 Ski-doo Legend. 6 miles down the trail the sled stops. We figured it had siezed up and we were right. I had to pull it with my 1992 XCR Indy 440 [:D]. But went brought it to a dealer in Ironwood and found out the piston had cracked nearly in half and the half got chipped up and thrown throughout the engine. We think the engine went lean but we dont know yet. It didnt ruin her trip too bad though she still got to ride a Summit for the rest of the trip that we borrowed from a friend. What do you think might have happened?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
nothin wrong with a 92 440XCR! prolly more fun to ride than the legend :)

But yeah... How about oil? was there premix? Was it warmed up completely before going out?

heres my bet:

Excited rider, fires it up, and takes off. No warmup. Piston expands fast in this sitaution, while block has alot more material, and expands slowly. Piston siezes in bore, and momentum cracks it, and breaks it (seen it happen before!).

-Dean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah oil premix and pretty good warmup. The shop thought the engine didnt get enought gas. Note: this only happened to one piston so I would rule out the warm up effect anyway.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
rippred2...100% on the money. Oh how cranky un-broke-in engines are...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts