Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Life expectancy for snowmobile shocks?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wizkll 
#1 ·
I'm preparing to rework my #2 sled (2000 zrt800) before next season, ei. disassemble rear skid, clean or replace bearings, repair damaged adjustment block, etc. I'm wondering about the shocks, how long do they usually last for? This was the first model year (I think) with arctic cat's own shock. Last year the ride seemed very ruff in comparison to my new sled but I don't think its a fair contrast. What kind of wear signs should I look for around the shocks or how could I test to see if they nee replacement?
scott

#2 ·
shocks from the factory should be rebuilt after the first season. once you have them recharged with a good synthetic oil you can get anywhere from 2 to 3000 miles before you should do it again, i do mine every year just to avoid any problems mid year. as for seeing signs that they need to be rebuilt, hard to say, the performance of a shock deteorates so slowly you may not notice that they are not performing the way they used to. i think its a good opportunity to get the rear skid out and check every thing over pre-season so there is no problems when it finally snows!!![:)]

#3 ·
The ACT shocks should be good for a couple thousand miles from the factory. I know that they ran them in their Iron Dog sleds (Usually rebuild in Nome) but didn't with the ACT shocks. Said they worked great for the whole 2200 mile race. And these guys are litterally beating the SH!+ out of there sleds for that distance. Your ZRT is much heavier than the 440's there running but they are carrying all the parts they figure they will tear off during a given section of the race. My 2000 Tcat shocks are still working good but only have about 1000 miles on them. If you've got the rear skid out have them rebuilt you won't regret the price you pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.