Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my sled lights to work! The only problem is, all lights are dim even when I am running the sled. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know how to check a voltage regulator to see if it is working? I replaced the voltage regulator as per suggestion from posts in this forum but now the lights are still dim. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Check it with a volt meter set to AC. One on the yellow wire going to the voltage regulator and the other to a good ground (chassis or engine). Get a reading at idle and one at 2500-3000 rpms. It'll probably be approx. 10 volts at idle and approx. 13-15 when revved up.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Was it an OEM regulator or an aftermarket one? A lot of times from what i have seen is that aftermarket regulators are for E/S machines. I would go OEM no matter what, even though you do pay more, but they tend to work better (From my experience).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input gentlemen! I ordered a new voltage regulator from HPE, I hope that will work. I proceeded to check the voltage per Hangman's post and I got 2.9 volts AC on idle. Hopefully it is that and not the lighting coil in the stator. I appreciate the time here as well as your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I would start looking into how to test the lighting coils. Personally, I don't know that one.
If your regulator was bad, your voltage would be rather high. Maybe unplug the regulator and do a quick voltage test, but be prepared for a burned out headlight if you're not quick enough.

If you have a battery, then you will have a voltage regulator and a rectifier. The rectifier is for charging the battery. Uses different coils than the lighting circuit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hangman said:
I would start looking into how to test the lighting coils. Personally, I don't know that one.
If your regulator was bad, your voltage would be rather high. Maybe unplug the regulator and do a quick voltage test, but be prepared for a burned out headlight if you're not quick enough.

If you have a battery, then you will have a voltage regulator and a rectifier. The rectifier is for charging the battery. Uses different coils than the lighting circuit.
Would you be able to tell me how to check if the rectifier is working? It does not look like my battery is charging. The sled runs fine, no loss of power. Lights worked after I put in the new voltage regulator. However, after I hit something in the ice today, my lights got dim again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts