Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took my new pro-x out today and the lights weren't working, so I checked most of the connections and up where the bulb is and everything looked fine. Does anyone know of any problem spots that I should check? Also, when I gave it some throttle the red backround on the speedo would die down a bit. Just want to know if thats normal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
it is likely the dimmer switch. Take it off and find the connections are broken at the solder joints. resolder them and you should be good.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The backlight on the speedo dimmed when you gave it throttle? You must have a short somewhere or your stator is going out. Kind of wierd you would have any light at all though it was a short.

I'd follow the lines to look for wires that are worn through or melted. Checking the dimmer switch isn't a bad idea either.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
It is usually the switch. Don't run high wattage bulbs also. They get the switch hot and the solder gets warm and falls out. It has happened to me alot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot that the dimmer switch was loose when I got it, so I tighteded it up a little and then the lights didn't work, so I checked the dimmer, but i didn't see anything but I'll check it again..thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
With your last statement, I'm 99% sure that's the problem. Anytime you mess with something and then things quite working, it usually comes back to the thing you messed with.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked the dimmer switch and the solder is loose, so i'm gonna get that fixed tommorow..Should I be worried about the stator?? I don't know why I didn't see the loose connection before..[:I]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Stator will be fine. I took a old trailer wire harness from a truck and have the wires wrapped together. So that if it happens again. I can plug this jumper in and have lights. It will only be low but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats a pretty good idea, thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
When making the jumper you need to use the ground wire(white, male and 1 female(yellow i beleive).

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My Pro X had a horrible problem with those dimmer switches breaking I think I replaced 3 of them in the 2 years I had the sled. So just be ready for it to break the soder again!!

DW

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we don't have a solder gun thats small enough for it so I took it off and am going to take it to a local business and have it done.

·
Registered
506 Posts
buy a soldering pencil from radio shack. it should only be about $15. Mine have come off twice so it might repeat.second time I soldered and put a couple tie wraps on so the wires wouldn't move. If I recall there is no strain relief so they work loose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts