Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my snowmobile is a 2001 summit 600. as i was doing my pre mountain trip check i noticed my limiter strap is broken on one side and starting to tear on the other, if this thing goes on me on my weekend trip will it be impossible to drive? ive never riden a sled without a limiter strap, my local dealer wont be able to get the parts in until next week unfortunately.

·
Registered
56 Posts
go to walmart and get a little rachet strap just incase if you have a long travel suspension if the strap breaks it could but extra tension on the track or stab the front of the suspension into the track if you go over a jump or unweight the suspension but a little rachet strap will work just fine make sure you trim all the excess strap off so it dosent get tangled you need a really small strap

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
It will be able to perform you will just have less ski pressure.
The suspension will kind of float in the track. I say you will be fine unless you are doing some big air.

Are they any farmers around you that would have some old conveyer belt that you could hack into. I would change it with that or either use a strap as mentioned above. You know deep down it is going to brake when you don't want it too.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Maybe you could just go to other dealers and get a limiter strap. Since you are in a pinch, it really doesn't matter what brand or model the strap is for. To adjust the length, just punch new holes with a knife and cut off the excess. It will work until you get the correct part.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I believe the limiter strap also limits the amount of down travel (extension) on the front shock, as well as adjusts ski pressure.

I would be careful as without the limiter strap, it is possible to over extend the front shock on the skid frame...something you don't want to happen in the middle of your ride.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its ok now, ive got the parts, looks pretty tight under there though but should be easy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts