Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted anything here, but I am a long time member and still like this sled forum the best.

My question is this. I would like to know of some clever ways to get my sled in the back of my pickup. I have 2 sleds and no trailer up in Cadillac, MI. Most of the time this is not a problem cause my buddies come stay at my cabin and we ride to the trails. But I was thinking if we ever decided to ride somewhere else it would be good if my friend didn't have to come all the way over to my place with his trailer to pick up my sled.

So what's the best way for one person to get a sled into the back of a pickup. It's a 06 Z71 GMC so it's pretty high off the ground.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Back the truck up to a pile of snow, drop the tailgate and drive in. I have done it numerous times and it works great.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions,

A friend of mine just told me to put my truck in the ditch and drive on.

Thanks BOBINWI, but I was trying to avoid buying anything. I guess I could make some ramps though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Originally posted by Methuselah
[br]Back the truck up to a pile of snow, drop the tailgate and drive in. I have done it numerous times and it works great.
If there's no snow piles around, I use 2x6's - inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
If you use a ramp, where do you put it once the snowmobile is in the pickup? Does it fit beside the machine?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an ATV ramp, and I can load my older AC in the back with it, no problem. My ZR's skis are too wide however, everytime I've tried I get it halfway in and have to muscle it in(no fun). Backing into a ditch and driving it in works a lot better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best way to go is the Lund Tri-Fold Ramps. They store easily in the bed of ur truck, even with ur sled or quad in it. There very lightweight. I'd try it out. Mine work great.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The only downfall of backing into a ditch is you get stuck easy. Trust me, I speak from experiance(sp)?. Now I opt for the snow pile approach.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by JD
[br]If you use a ramp, where do you put it once the snowmobile is in the pickup? Does it fit beside the machine?
Slide it under neath the sled.

I use a tri-fold I got from cabelas. Cut 2 peices of plywood to put on the outer parts and leave the center open. Works great. I have one at home and my parents. SO I never have to take it north when I bring the 3 sled.

I use mine almost all year long.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]
Originally posted by JD
[br]If you use a ramp, where do you put it once the snowmobile is in the pickup? Does it fit beside the machine?
I am trying to imagine it, without physically trying it, but I do not believe I could hold my sled up and slide the ramp under by myself.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by Methuselah
[br]The only downfall of backing into a ditch is you get stuck easy.
Exactly what I was thinking. I cannot think of any ditch that I would want to drive into right now. On the other hand though, with the lack of snow, I cannot think of a suitable pile of snow right now, either.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by JD
[br]
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]
Originally posted by JD
I am trying to imagine it, without physically trying it, but I do not believe I could hold my sled up and slide the ramp under by myself.
Very easy you slide it up next to the track and then move it under with one of you feet while you are lifting the sled up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've got the tri-folding aluminum one, and did the same as XCR440, with the plywood in the 2 outer panels. Leaves the center panel alomst like rungs of a ladder, so the track can get good bte on it, and easy to walk up when I use the same ramp for my snowblower, etc.

Was about $150 at Northern Tool, I think. Well worth the investment IMO.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i have a piece of plywood with some 2x4s along the edges and a few across on the bottom, then 2 pieces of steel bolted and bent to hold the edge of the tailgate. it works good and you can just put it next to the sled and strap it to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
If you use one of the tri folds or ramps make sure to tie a rope from the middle of the ramp, about half way up, to the bumper or a hitch. That will keep the ramp from sliding out from under you when the skis get in the bed but the track is still on the ramp.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^^Mine has 2 little chains that you hook to the tailgate cables.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts