Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...where can I get a local Northern Illinois map? Is it a must to have insurance? I recently bought two sleds,do I have to pay sales tax and register them in my name? Or can I just have them registered where ever I'm sledding?
Sorry to sound *#@! but I get mixed responses.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
can't answer all your questions but here's some info for you. just a quick google search

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/snow.htm

i live in PA, for me to be completely legal my sleds are titled, registered, and insured. that means i can ride off of my own property and in places where it's legal to ride. when i go to maine every year i also have to register in maine and be insured. things vary from state to state.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by only1bigdaddyo
[br]Ok...where can I get a local Northern Illinois map? Is it a must to have insurance? I recently bought two sleds,do I have to pay sales tax and register them in my name? Or can I just have them registered where ever I'm sledding?
Sorry to sound *#@! but I get mixed responses.
Thanks in advance.
Maps? You have to get them from a snowmobile club. The Snow Ducks are in Elgin if I remember right. Do a search for Illinois Snowmobile Clubs, they'll come up. I assume the maps are available at their meeting place (monthly).

Insurance is only a must if you go on Forest Preserve trails. I just found that out today. I have Geico - I called them and got a quote. 83 bucks for 2 sleds for 6 months. What is that, like 15 a month? Fine by me...

I'm not sure about the sales tax. I've never paid any FYI. There's some more info on the back of the registration which you can pick up at any currency exchange. Don't have them do it for you - they charge extra. Just ask for the reg.

Unless I'm mistaken the insured must match the person they're registered to. But you can register them in WI or MI or wherever.. you don't have to get an IL reg. I know why you're asking - becuase WI trail permits are 20, and a full registration is 35. And IL accepts WI reg. But you still need an IL trail permit to hit the local preserves.

Anything else?

-Bryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.