Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061130/NEWS0107/611300340/1001&nav_category=

A 53 year old Bend Oregon man died after 3 days in the mountains when he and his son got lost and buried their sleds. The guy actually taught hypothermia classes. Just goes to show, you can't be too careful.

I heard he was riding an 88 inticer, Not a good deep powder sled.

Really too bad. Check you survival gear.

·
Registered
963 Posts
thats to bad to hear and a good example on why to be prepared for anything in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Jeez how sad to see someone that innocent go. I feel really bad now. I think that this also proves a point as in "no one can be too prepared".

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Thats so sad. Whats a summary of that story? I got lost with all the details.

I have personally been in the shoes of them men (sorta). I wrecked a sled and had hypothermia while being rescued. Its the most scary thing thats ever happend to me.. its hard to explain what its like to people that havn't been through it.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family :(

·
Registered
893 Posts
boy that really shows that you have to be extremely cautious

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The summary of the story is that the man, riding the Enticer, and his 29 y/o son, riding an RMK 700, missed a turn on a yet-to-be groomed trail in very snowy conditions. They went downhill on their sleds, and could not get out. Both were very experienced snowmobilers. It was stated that they could not even keep a gasoline-soaked rag lit; the wind would blow it out.

My condolences go to their family as well...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
There were 3 riders up here in AK that were riding down in the mountains. While they were riding a storm came in and they got lost. They ended up having to burn their sleds to keep warm. They were up there for a couple days until rescue teams could find them.

The mountains generally have their own weather system. Conditions can change instantly. Stay safe, and be prepared for everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts