Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Here is a lengthy article on what our weather is doing. It is very interesting reading for those that are into weather. It discusses that the opposite of global warming is happening... Maybe a glimpse into this winter.

http://www.intellicast.com/DrDewpoint/Library/1395/GlobalWarmingArticle.pdf

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
that is long...maybe u could sum it up for us?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically it says next to el nino and la nina there is a much more prominent system in the ocean that causes long term Cold and Warm streaks. this system comes in approximately 20 year terms. We are at the beginning of the COLD 20 year cycle which will lead to colder temps and more snow. The article is downplaying the whole global warming issue, but what it says and the graphs it uses make a lot of sense. I hear a lot of people talk about the winters of "OLD" and how much snow there was. It just so happens that those winters generally occured between 1955 and 1980 which was the LAST cold cycle. 1980-2000 was the warm cycle. SO in sum we should have a great winter. I know i never trust the weather people but the numbers speak for themselves in the graphs they show.... K so the long article lead to this long summary... It doesnt take long to read there are a lot of graphs.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Odd, but 1997 holds a record for most snowfall in our area...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2000 was a record for us in Central MN. Top 5 I think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the last 4 years up north here sucked for snow fall. i think i put on about 300 miles around home (thats the total for all four years combined). thank god the mountains are only 9 hours driving time away.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by Darkstar
[br]2000 was a record for us in Central MN. Top 5 I think.
I agree, but didn't it all melt right away because it was so fricken' warm out all winter??

I hope the colder spell this winter at least KEEPS the snow around. IMO.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
actually its says that it happens in 11 year cycles. but they are not always 11 years. its telling me that with elnino and la nina they are actually caused by the way the sun cycles.and we are currently heading into a weak sun cycle since 2001. by weak i mean its actually going to make things cooler and more snowy. but that also depends on if the NAO and AO change. P-Man heard me babble about this all last winter lol.if you have the time i suggest you read it as once you learn the stuff mentioned in that article. then you can start looking at maps of the things mentioned in there such as the NAO AO and other various maps of things that effect our weather.
from this past winter alone of me studying maps and learning all kinds of stuff i was able to predict the weather better then the people who are paid to do it.
ok im done
but holy $hit did i sound smart or something

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bobinwi,

There are two cycles it discusses sorry i forgot all about the sun spot cycle. There are the 20 year ocean cycles and 11 year sunspot cycles. In summary it says we are starting a very good cycle for cold and snow.

Megaman,

it was a warm winter that year and i think it melted early but we had a good 2+ foot base. Here is a pic from 2-25-2000.

/polarisman/../images/users/DarkStar/MVC-002Xsmall.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts