Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, check out my piston, then say what your guess is on what happened.

god, this is gonna set me back a few more $$$ than I planned. I entered the engine case intending to just do a ring job, and replace the base and head gaskets.

Boy did I have it coming.

-Dean

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well something definately got into the cylinder. Question #1) was the circlip still in the piston? #2)what did your needle cage bearings look like and were all the needles still intact?

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
thats beautiful.....sux to be u, hope u dont have a ton of snow there so u dont feel to bad when everyone else is out riding on the dirt.....shit happens

Cats have 9 lives, you have one...Make it count!

Member #3 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team...You WILL believe!

When Hell freezes over, We'll ride there too!

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
Ouch.

Do you know what happened? Something obviously got in there, what it was, I dunno.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
id say major malfunction, i doubt that that kinda damage is from no oil, or running lean?, i say thats more what someone else said here something got loose in your engine or intake, the bad news were just seeing the piston, the cylinder is whats expensive, at this point your only hope is that LA sleeve makes a cyl for your sled, man whatever you do find what made this mess before you go any further, because i dont wanna see you have this happen again, also the snap rings that hold the rod "cannot" be re-used the heat from the cyl takes the temper out of them , so if someone replaced the pistons without changing them id bet thats your malfunction.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
correct my son. The circlip was missing in action.

Also, whoever said the piston isn't the bad news, was right on also.
The sleve has deep gouges in it.

I brought the block and the pistons to a shop, and consulted with them.

Heres what is gonna happen.

They can bore it out to a max of .060 over, so the are going to see if that will work. In that case, a wiseco piston kit and the boring is all I need, and I'm only out $300. (ONLY! grr.) But, the engine will run even better than when off the showroom floor.

The other option if they can't bore it out is to just re-sleve that cylender. This will not improve performance, costs as much as boring out both cylenders, and I still would need a piston kit since the other piston has some wear too.(4700miles) So that option is around $300 too.

The funny part of all of this is right before I parked it, I got it to 90mph on a lake. How the hell did it still have good top end with such a bad piston and sleve?

Oh, yeah, it is supposted to be 35 next week though, and no snow in the immidiate forecast, so that is the only good news.
-Dean

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, needle bearings were in great shape, and all were intact.

and thanks for the tip on the circlips, i wouldn't have known that, although the kit comes with new ones so i'd use them anyway.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
at least u dont have a hellofa storm coming ur way.....seems like mine always break down the day a long vacation starts, which is usually right at thanksgiving....noone open till the next monday, or at christmas, tryin to find someone open w/ time is a chore then too, good luck this year, but hardly any snow either...weather sux

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
thats pretty nice to erick.....damn......whos next?

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
That sux erick.

I hope I'm not next!

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Erick, If you would stop storing your spare parts in your cylinder head that would'nt happen HEHE

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't look like a lean burn, and the skirt is still intact and O.K. So i'm going to guess that your sparkplug broke or something. Although that does seem unlikely.
But your bearing is intact and sitting right there, so I can't think of anything else.

it looks like your piston is chipped on a closer look. Manufacturing defect?

-Dean

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
It didn't score, you are right on that one. A chunk of the piston broke off and got in there before going out the exhaust. Parts of the rings busted also. It didn't really hurt the cylinder and that is going to be used again. So for right not all it needs is a new head, piston, rings, and seals.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm quickly becoming friends with the guys at Chopper city sports. They are the ones I consulted on my engine work...

But oh well, it'll be like new when I'm done with it.

-Dean

·
Registered
586 Posts
Wow, this topic is like bummer city!

Dude, don't freak out.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hey erick, that chunck that is missing off of the top of the piston....its right in line with the exaust port right? If it is i would say you had a lean burndown. The exaust port is where the most heat is concentrated thats why it burnt on the exaust port. First the piston melted and broke off near the exaust port and then that chunk of the piston bounced around a few times in the cylinder before the motor finally quit. The piston looks exactly like mine did out of my JD Liquifire and that was a Lean burn condition. Let us know what you figure out. Im quite curious as to what actually happened.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't mind having that happen to mine! And I need it to happen when the snow is rear deep to an elephant. Then I won't have to sit around begging and pouting trying to talk the wife into a new sled. I'll just bring one home. Hey no time to argue, it's snowing. And with any luck, I could bore out my old 700 and keep it after nobody calls on the grossly overpriced newspaper ad. Shucks honey, guess we'll have to keep it. Don't we all need 2 sleds?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts