Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boss Racing’s Robbie Malinoski drove a prototype Yamaha snowmobile to victory in round three of the 2007 WPSA PowerSports Snowmobile Tour at Brainerd, Minnesota. History was made today, Sunday, Jan. 14, as this was the world’s first National Snocross victory by a four-stroke sled. Just as Doug Henry gave Yamaha the first ever Supercross victory by a four-stroke motocross bike (the YZM400 in 1997), and the first ever National Motorcross victory by a four-stroke (the YZ400F in 1998), Malinoski’s historic performance on a special Yamaha sled proves Yamaha’s four-stroke technology can go ski-to-ski with any two-stroke out there.

Malinoski’s race on Sunday couldn’t have been any better scripted. He qualified well and then grabbed a holeshot to lead all 20 laps of the technical jump-filled course, using the huge torque of the Nytro-based three-cylinder engine and the agile handling of the FX Phazer-inspired chassis to dominate the event. “The engine has so much power and the chassis is built perfectly around it,” Malinoski said afterwards. “It’s amazing how the track gets that massive torque and horsepower to the ground.”

“Boss Racing and Robbie took on the four-stroke challenge and they’ve done an outstanding job by capturing victory so early in the project,” added Greg Marier, Yamaha’s Snowmobile Racing Manager. “ Our goal was to take on the best in the world at the biggest events, and the WPSA is the biggest and best there is.”

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
If we wanted a press release we could have just went to yamaha's website.

600cc vs 1000cc eh? 3 cylinder vs 2?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I am happy that Yamaha is getting their 4 strokes to work but I think the way this is posted is going to start all kinds of arguements. I would edit/tone down your post and heading . This was only one race and doesn't mean they are better, only that they are now competative.

·
Registered
112 Posts
that thing almost looks like a blade sled. don't like the looks though.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
3 cylinder vs 2? oh how them words finally came back to bite a twin lovers butt!!!!

dont be mad because yami is taking poos customers and now there trophies!!!

ha ha ha ha ha oh this is sooooo funnn!!!

maybe if poo would get there head out of there butt and listen to the people in the world and look at what the big polaris riders are doing. they might take that advice and build a sled to get them back on top.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by torkerob
[br]This was only one race and doesn't mean they are better,
i didnt say that they are better i just wanted to throw that out there and see what kind of responses i would get i honestly dont care who is better in snocross i like yamaha and thats what i ride you can say what you want about yamaha thats you preference

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by madcow
[br]3 cylinder vs 2? oh how them words finally came back to bite a twin lovers butt!!!!

dont be mad because yami is taking poos customers and now there trophies!!!

ha ha ha ha ha oh this is sooooo funnn!!!

maybe if poo would get there head out of there butt and listen to the people in the world and look at what the big polaris riders are doing. they might take that advice and build a sled to get them back on top.
Oh how right you are madcow!! That is a comical press release, ya have to give the "spin doctors" credit for that!! The comment "Yamahas four stroke technology can go toe to toe with any 2-stroke out there" is kinda like saying "Chevys Corvette technology can go toe to toe with any Ford PINTO out there"!![:D] And it only took them 3 years to build a 1000cc 3 bangin 4-stroke to finally beat a 600cc twin 2-stroke, pretty impressive!!!

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Hey hurley don't you have some pathetic little topic to go start that'll need to be locked after 5 minutes??

·
Registered
477 Posts
to me it seems like yami is a hit a miss team like on sat in the pro open final he made it out front then just kept falling back every lap and that is basicly happend and duluth to idk boss racing still hasn't convinced me that 4 stokes are the way to go but all i can say is i can't wait untill the x games!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Originally posted by torkerob
[br]I am happy that Yamaha is getting their 4 strokes to work but I think the way this is posted is going to start all kinds of arguements. I would edit/tone down your post and heading . This was only one race and doesn't mean they are better, only that they are now competative.
I completely agree with this. I too like the fact that Yamaha joined the snocross scene again. But, you have to remember a few things:

- This is a very young team, meaning they have not yet fully established themselves as a threat on the track.

- They are running a prototype sled, which means they probably don't have a lot of racing history with the chassis and motor, and are playing it by ear as to how it runs.

You'd be pretty self absorbed in your own little world if you thought that you'd never ever see that Yamaha win a race ever. However, for the Yami PR people to come out of the stalls with both guns a-blazin' after winning one race is dumb.

Yeah, they won a race. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while. When the finishes become consistent and continually improving, then you have something to brag about.

I guess that's just my take on the whole situation.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i'm glad to see that yami is back into snocross btu i think that they should be racing other 1000's maybe 1000 2 strokes that would be interesting to see in my opinion

·
Registered
586 Posts
Malinoski won that race because he's an amazing rider. He was on fire all weekend, and would have won no matter what sled he was IMO. Where was Yuji, the other Yam rider? He didnt even qualify. He was cause he was on fire, and he would have won twice over on any other sled.

my $.02

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by deforagerider3
[br]Boss Racing’s Robbie Malinoski drove a prototype Yamaha snowmobile to victory in round three of the 2007 WPSA PowerSports Snowmobile Tour at Brainerd, Minnesota. History was made today, Sunday, Jan. 14, as this was the world’s first National Snocross victory by a four-stroke sled. Just as Doug Henry gave Yamaha the first ever Supercross victory by a four-stroke motocross bike (the YZM400 in 1997), and the first ever National Motorcross victory by a four-stroke (the YZ400F in 1998), Malinoski’s historic performance on a special Yamaha sled proves Yamaha’s four-stroke technology can go ski-to-ski with any two-stroke out there.

Malinoski’s race on Sunday couldn’t have been any better scripted. He qualified well and then grabbed a holeshot to lead all 20 laps of the technical jump-filled course, using the huge torque of the Nytro-based three-cylinder engine and the agile handling of the FX Phazer-inspired chassis to dominate the event. “The engine has so much power and the chassis is built perfectly around it,” Malinoski said afterwards. “It’s amazing how the track gets that massive torque and horsepower to the ground.”

“Boss Racing and Robbie took on the four-stroke challenge and they’ve done an outstanding job by capturing victory so early in the project,” added Greg Marier, Yamaha’s Snowmobile Racing Manager. “ Our goal was to take on the best in the world at the biggest events, and the WPSA is the biggest and best there is.”
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is posted by a young contributer. I don't mind them racing with 2-strokes. I do mind when they race 600cc 2-strokes, and then brag it up when they win. I wish Yamaha luck, they will need it if this is how they want to try and sell sleds!

·
Registered
459 Posts
That article failed to mention the 15th (last) place finish of Robbie at the BIR Natonal on Jan. 12th. . . i guess that's not good story type material. Just a little something I noticed on WSA's web site. Good job anyways on his first podium of the year.

http://www.wsaracing.com/portalpak_modwsa/resultsdetail.asp?serverid=wsanew06&eventid=1138&classcode=28&startYear=2006

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
it is only one race that they one. and since it is a riders sport whos to say he wouldnt have one if he was on another brand as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
here we go about 2 strokes and 4strokes again.i brought my apex up to the shop to get some sliders and carbides put on and told my buddy who owns the used sled shop to take it out for a rip in the field out back and see how he liked the 4 stroke cause he never rode one. he couldnt believe how good it went.he rides an f7 rev 600 and he said they are both going and hes getting an apex.until anybody even rides onedont talk crap about how fast your unreliable 2 strokes are.any body can make any sled beat anybody elses sled no matter what you have done to it.all sleds are good if they are running well

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Hey apex buddy long time no see, where ya been buddy?? [:D]

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Originally posted by apex
[br]here we go about 2 strokes and 4strokes again.i brought my apex up to the shop to get some sliders and carbides put on and told my buddy who owns the used sled shop to take it out for a rip in the field out back and see how he liked the 4 stroke cause he never rode one. he couldnt believe how good it went.he rides an f7 rev 600 and he said they are both going and hes getting an apex.until anybody even rides onedont talk crap about how fast your unreliable 2 strokes are.any body can make any sled beat anybody elses sled no matter what you have done to it.all sleds are good if they are running well
wait till you have to pay a mechanic to fix it....(it will happen)then we will see what sleds are better!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts