Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you pick up someones carbide ski runner with your track....

[attachment=55122]

[attachment=55123]

[attachment=55124]

This is were it sits today, rear pan drilled out and heat exchangers ready to be replaced. 1.25 ripsaw is on it's way from tracks usa.

[attachment=55125]

[attachment=55126]

[attachment=55127]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
JEEEZZ! That really sucks! It looks like you have started looking at it and taking it apart though.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
So how'd this happen? whose sled?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
at least you get a better track otu of the deal :/

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I hate it when that happens!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Pance
[br]So how'd this happen? whose sled?
This happened to octane's 01 edge x 600. He picked up the carbide in one of the track holes which ripped the outer 3rd of the track off and pounded the piss out of it. It had almost 6300 miles on it. I know he will be really happy with the new track. I just wish he would have went with the predator track but either way he will love the new hook up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
wow that sucks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
wow did it happen, how did a carbide go in his track

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by ski-dooguy
[br]wow did it happen, how did a carbide go in his track
Someone lost theres and it just so happened to get jammed through the holes in the track by the hyfax. Hyfax is really chewed up also.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
My friend has something similar happen, he was sliding sideways and caught on the tar. didn't think much of it until he heard a noise, and it had torn the outer track apart and then it took off his snow flap. he put a ripsaw on after that and its a hell of a lot better than the stock track.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
That sucks but atleast it was a fairly easy fix, i got a extra chasie in the back for parts for my sled for that exact reason, has saved my buddies money numrous times.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
I just wish he would have went with the predator track but either way he will love the new hook up.
TracksUSA told me the Ripsaw is better than the Predator. The fingers dig in when it's packed down and the taller lugs hook up when the snow is all loose and chewed up. The Predator is more of an off-trail/powder track. I told him the conditions we ride in and thats the track he suggested.
Anyways, yeah, thats my sled. I was cruising the 1-way trail near Thunderbird Pass in St Germain, WI when all of the sudden the sled started thumping. I tried to shut it down as quick as I could, but I was doing about 70 mph at the time, so there wasnt a whole lot I could do.
We found the right 3rd of the track that came off and there was a chunk of carbide tangled up in the track. It actually sheared the track off right where the clips were, so we are guessing the it just got tangled up in one of the windows.
As you can see, it pounded the rear of the tunnel and crushed the 1 heat exchanger but all the damage is fixable, so its cool.
Im not really all that mad about it. I mean, over the past few years Ive put over 3,000 mostly trouble-free miles. That sled doesnt own me a thing. It could break in half the next time I ride it and Id still say it was a great sled.
I bought a tunnel and taillight off of an '03 EDGE X, and we have a Pro-X snowflap that I can rivet on. It will need a new set of hyfax too (the bottom side of the right hyfax it kinda chewed up), but all in all the damage isnt as bad as it looks.
Its kinda surprising what you learn about your sled when its half torn apart. I learned that without the heat exchangers the tunnel is pretty flimsy and weak. I never thought of the heat exchangers as being support for the tunnel, but they are.
If nothing else this gives me a good chance to check my idler wheel bearings and my chaincase bearings. At 6,000+ miles its probably due for new bearings anyways.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Ouch always hate when things like this happen, but on the bright side hes getting a better track.

We had a rider kickup a rock on a trail a few yrs. Caught just right and whipped it up under the tunnel. He said he felt a huge bang and it kinna gave the rear of the sled a kick up. He figured it was ice breaking under the tunnel and kept going. temp light came on as we pulled into a gas station. Nothing but a lil trail of coolant leaking out behind him.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know for the many miles we put on up there that we haven't had more issue than this.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
wow that suck now i understand

1 - 20 of 24 Posts