Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=150064163221

sweet sled i won on ebay. going to pick it up next weekend. i cant wait.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Thats cool.. so it was a prototype from the 70's? My guess is because there were no 600cc sno-jets?

I laughed my ass off when I seen this
[attachment=50825]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Nice sled. The designers must have forgot about a headlight and added it as an afterthought.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its actually a 643 cc yamaha engine the guys listing was mistaken. the hood would obviously not clear the larger engine hense the need for those holes. im not sure if it may have been a prototype or not. maybe an unofficial prototype or just something some one put together. eather way im pumped i love the 75 style sno jets this one ought to move pretty good with that 643 in it too.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't think that snojet ever made that, it looks like someone just put it together. I have done it many times, like i put a 440cc Fuji Free-air(from a 1980 TX) in a 1972 Chaparral firebird. It is probably pretty fast tho.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by ski-doo211
[br]I don't think that snojet ever made that, it looks like someone just put it together. I have done it many times, like i put a 440cc Fuji Free-air(from a 1980 TX) in a 1972 Chaparral firebird. It is probably pretty fast tho.
no this sled was never a production model made by sno jet, but heres an interesting wrinkle.

if you look at this pic youll notice the sno jet decal on the recoil. those decals were only put on yamaha engines that were put in sno jets sleds by sno jet. but sno jet never used the yamaha 643 in a sled so how did it get there. if this engine came out of a yamaha sled and was shoe horned into this sno jet by an individual it should still have the yamaha decal on it. i doubt that this person would have removed the yamaha decal and put on a factory OEM sno jet decal in its place. its possible but where do you get a decal like that. im not saying that is proof of anything i just though it was interesting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
AHOOD has a point. Alot of brands in the 70's did do that... take a production model and throw an oversized engine in, usually as a trial run.. or prototype. for instance, Polaris Put a 634 Hirth motor in their TX in 71, as a TX 600. Usually they used free air motors, and the following year they used their fuji free air. But this picture is of my fully Restored TX with the hirth 634 motor. Bought it 2 years ago on ebay, used, Package deal with a Rupp 634 W/T. Both had Hirth motors. The polaris only had 340 miles on it. Its their Steel tunnel race sle, not alluminum. heres a picture of it after restoration:

[galleryattach=8270]
[galleryattach=8274]

Check them out, guys! and the SnoJet looks sweet! [;)]

·
Registered
72 Posts
GOOD SCORE THEM 643 engines got good torque! i had a yamaha gp643 1973 it went gooood! i might still have a engine in pieces kickin around !

·
Registered
367 Posts
the guy i work for used to sell the sno-jets till kawi bought them....this last year he bought back a 1973 (i think thats the year) sno-jet 292 with only 650 miles on it...everything is orginal, even the belt...guy already offered him $500 before he cleaned it up and polished it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by ramblnman
[br]GOOD SCORE THEM 643 engines got good torque! i had a yamaha gp643 1973 it went gooood! i might still have a engine in pieces kickin around !
i might be interested in some of those 643 engine parts if you happen to find some.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
All my research points to a limited production racing engine that was probably "shoehorned" into that frame. Most likely from a ThunderJet or a WhisperJet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by OldCatRider
[br]All my research points to a limited production racing engine that was probably "shoehorned" into that frame. Most likely from a ThunderJet or a WhisperJet.
the 643 fan cooled was never used in any thunderjets or wisper jets. the 643 free air was used in the 72 and 73 thunderjet. the GP 643 fan motor is not a littited production racing engine. although the 643 free air was.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rather doubt it's a factory proto type. The ID plate on Sno Jet proto types was very prominant and read Proto Type Not For Sale. Also doubt that as a proto type the 440 stickers would have been left on. But who know's for sure? Lots of strange things happened back in those days. Researching the sleds past may only lead you to dead ends. 643 Yamaha engines were built for Sno Jet and were marked as Sno Jet engines but only in small quantities and used on those models that also used the Hirth 634. Niether engine ever gained much popularity. Typically Sno Jet ordered they're proto types be destroyed. Although a couple of Phantom Jets managed to escape that fate. So once again, who knows? If you need help let me know. Have lots of parts manuals for most models and could copy pages for you. Incidently, had a 76 Astro 440 many years ago. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Originally posted by AHood
[br]
Originally posted by ski-doo211
[br]I don't think that snojet ever made that, it looks like someone just put it together. I have done it many times, like i put a 440cc Fuji Free-air(from a 1980 TX) in a 1972 Chaparral firebird. It is probably pretty fast tho.
no this sled was never a production model made by sno jet, but heres an interesting wrinkle.

if you look at this pic youll notice the sno jet decal on the recoil. those decals were only put on yamaha engines that were put in sno jets sleds by sno jet. but sno jet never used the yamaha 643 in a sled so how did it get there. if this engine came out of a yamaha sled and was shoe horned into this sno jet by an individual it should still have the yamaha decal on it. i doubt that this person would have removed the yamaha decal and put on a factory OEM sno jet decal in its place. its possible but where do you get a decal like that. im not saying that is proof of anything i just though it was interesting.
What about the Sabre Jet 650?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the 650 sabre jet was powered by the 650 hirth motor. would probably have been better if they did use the 643 yamaha as i think its a better engine.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Oh, my mistake, I thought it was a 643 Yamaha.

·
Registered
127 Posts
After all the talk, I think you have a prety cool sled. The original 440 SST's were ahead of their time and ran great with their power and light weight. If you get the 643 dialed in, the sled should be very impressive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts