Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys so I was looking at some exhaust set ups for my jimmy. Do you all think It would be fine to run the stock cat, flowmaster 40 series muffler, dual outlet to dual pipes out back?

or

would it sound just the same with stock cat, JUST the flowmaster 40 series muffler with the stock pipe out of the muffler?

I'm primarily looking for sound. Thanks for the help!

I'm looking for a sound very similar to this set up,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-YptVFFeM

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
If you are going to do it, then do it right.
The complete cat back system is the way to go.
High flow cat, Flow Master, and single larger diameter pipe.
You will gain that sound you are looking for, but more importantly, you will gain some power and fuel economy as well.

That is, you will gain in fuel economy as long as you don't have your right foot through the floor board every where you drive.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Student Driver said:
If you are going to do it, then do it right.
The complete cat back system is the way to go.
High flow cat, Flow Master, and single larger diameter pipe.
You will gain that sound you are looking for, but more importantly, you will gain some power and fuel economy as well.

That is, you will gain in fuel economy as long as you don't have your right foot through the floor board every where you drive.
alright. i have some things to do before that then. The catback systems I've found are pretty expensive. just about as much as a 6 in lift, so I'll just wait to see if I can find a deal.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
firecatF5 said:
The catback systems I've found are pretty expensive. just about as much as a 6 in lift, so I'll just wait to see if I can find a deal.
I wouldn't purchase an actual Cat-back kit...they can get quite expensive as you mentioned. Shop around for the components you want and have a muffler shop supply the pipe and installation. Flowmasters are usually cheaper off ebay than from a retail site (or at least they used to be). Thrush welded mufflers are less than half the price of Flowmasters, and are the same design as a 40 series...might be worth looking into.

I had the exhaust done on my Silverado this fall. It was just under $300 for dual Thrush welded mufflers, dual 18"x3.5" stainless rolled tips, pipe, and installation. I believe a Flowmaster Cat-back kit was over $400 for my application. Every shop will vary in pricing though.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quinlan said:
firecatF5 said:
The catback systems I've found are pretty expensive. just about as much as a 6 in lift, so I'll just wait to see if I can find a deal.
I wouldn't purchase an actual Cat-back kit...they can get quite expensive as you mentioned. Shop around for the components you want and have a muffler shop supply the pipe and installation. Flowmasters are usually cheaper off ebay than from a retail site (or at least they used to be). Thrush welded mufflers are less than half the price of Flowmasters, and are the same design as a 40 series...might be worth looking into.

I had the exhaust done on my Silverado this fall. It was just under $300 for dual Thrush welded mufflers, dual 18"x3.5" stainless rolled tips, pipe, and installation. I believe a Flowmaster Cat-back kit was over $400 for my application. Every shop will vary in pricing though.

Just my thoughts...
Thanks quinlan! When you say dual thrush welded mufflers, do you mean dual mufflers or single muffler with dual exits??

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I'm running true duals...so 2 single in/single out mufflers.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I put a dual in dual out muffler on my 97 suburban, it is a flowmaster 50 series and I like the sound, not to loud, but going down the highway I can only hear a nice rumble inside. I got the muffler for $100 and had a small shop put on dual tailpipes with chrome tips for about another $100.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok. Thanks guys! i will shop around and look for some different mufflers. I found a flowmaster 40 at autozone but forgot to ask for the price.

Do the true duals make a differance in sound or just performance with back pressure and all?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts