·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I have had enough!

Too many years of the following is paying its toll:

1) Praying for snow every year and getting only 3 weeks of good riding

2) Watching my insurance rates grow and grow every year

3) Paying for trail passes for two machines for only 3 weeks of the year (over $200.)

4) Paying the high cost of replacement parts

5) Hours and hours of tinkering to get them to run properly

6) Hauling them each weekend to the cottage in case it might snow

7) Did I say the high cost of parts (I needed to repeat it)

8) The chance of getting killed by some idiot driving like a maniac

9) Weather reports crying "Global Warming" each time I turn the box on

All in all I am getting tired of fixing things and I am only 35 years old! Just spent a week up North and I have to replace a clutch and a jackshaft. What kind of fun is that?

Well I might have the following sleds up for sale. Old ones however they run nice on snow.

92 Indy Lite 340 GT Long Track
90 Indy 650 Triple

Thanks for letting me complain.

CD

·
Registered
129 Posts
du yu feel better now?......i hear yu.....sledding is getting very expensive.....if my buddy didnt sled with me i would sell mine too. im broke all the time....if yu cant afford a new one at 7 to 10 k crazy!!!!! yure stuck with a tinker sled...which i really dont mind as i luv to do mechanic work....but like yu said parts are toooo spensive!!!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Jeeze, I'd say to at least keep one sled. You'll kick yourself every single year as fall rolls around and you begin feeling that old familar chill in the air.

I hear what your saying about the expense of the sport and all. But if you take your time (say all summer) and really go over the sled.....I mean give it a complete rebuild; EVERYTHING. You'll end up with a reliable sled. Will you get your money back out of it if you wanted to sell it? No. But you will have a sled that should operate flawlessly for years to come. You also shouldn't have to dump any more money into it except for slides and runners.

What a lot of people do is buy an older sled, and only put enough money into it to JUST keep it running. A sled like that is ALWAYS going to be breaking down from time to time. Thats why you need to bite the bullet, fix it right......ALL OF IT....the first time. Then you can begin enjoying the sport more.

As for the lack of snow.....can't help you out there. I got to believe it will come back around though. Keep one sled though man, if you do anything, at least keep one of em'.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i hear you loud and clear! and i cant agree with you more, i was envolved in dirt bikes a few years back, and i got to be the same way, it took so much money to get any enjoyment it was almost not worth it, and it was getting tougher and tougher to find a place to ride legally, now im involved in sledding and i see its pretty much the same, and heck i only have one day of riding thus far!, i wish i could be happy playing the x-box dirt-bike or snowmobile game it would much cheaper, but once you've done it your hooked and i can assure you, you wont be happy playing another sport, it already in your blood![:D]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It's like a disease isn't it. I do it because I'm a family man with a wife and 3 kids and I really look forward to those 1 or 2 weekends when I can go up with my old buds and get away from it all. But I hear ya my sled is back in the shop after only a few hours riding and I just had it rebuilt and I'm just starting out having my own sled. Sledding is still cheaper than some of the bad habits I had before I got married though and you do have something to show for it even if it's not much.

Hang in there snows coming

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
no matter how pissed i get, and how much i whine about stuff, everytime i do get to go ride (3-4 times maybe) i see so many things and have such a wonderful time that i really couldnt sell my sled. plus eventually it WILL snow some year some day we WILL get a dumping. plus i still owe on my sled so i cant afford to sell it [:D]

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you made me feel better. Like you mentioned when you are out on the trails, smell of two stroke oil, sound of the triple, ooaahh.

I will try to stick it out this season. Hope to get the 650 out of my garage by end of next week.

CD

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah it has been rough up here in lonley North Dakota the past few years. Last year I put a bismal 60 miles on my sled and that was on the one day we had decent snow. No matter what I told myself I wouldn't give up on snow. Then finally after many nights of praying to the snow god we got 10 inches and it has stayed around ever since. Just got another dusting yesterday so hang in there cause the saying "good things come to those who wait" is very true.[:D]

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i am a diehard hardcore sledder and i have no plans in giving it up, i am thinkin about what sled i want next...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like the post holiday blues to me. But giving up on sledding would be like ending your life and I don't think you want to do that. Just having my sled is a fix for me!!!!! THINK SNOW !!!!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
A few years ago when I blew the motor in my last sled, I thought I would give it up for a while since I don't have a ton of time to ride anyway... Well, I went one season without a sled, and nearly went crazy! That was the first time since I was a little kid that I didn't have a sled to ride. Then I bought my XLT off a buddy of mine when he got a new one and all is well with the world again...

My vote is to keep your sleds, especially if they're paid for!!!

Just my $.02

-Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Man i hear ya about the laws and stuff that stuff is complete crap... you'd like it out here in bush alaska, i dont even have to register!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you only listen to one thing out of all these posts, listen to the "keep the one sled" statement. You will be happy you did. Forget paying in advance for trail passes. Put some cash into one sled and ride when you can. There will always be idiots in anything you do. Let it slide and keep an eye out for them. Defensive driving = Defensive sleding. It's all the same. Don't drop the sport, to many have already. Keep the faith brother!!! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts