Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm looking for a good decent shovel with a decent price. I want it to fit onto the back of my back pack. Do you guys have any web sites or anything that I could look at. There are none in town here and the local sports center is pathettic on price. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
you should have stopped by bear lodge rental store. they have some great shovels. I bought one and had to dig my buddy's truck out last week. lol Dan you saw that. lol they are $46.00

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya We did stop in there looking for some polairs oil however they do not sell polaris oil to people but I did look at there shovels. I decided against buying it there just due to the simple fact that I didnt think I would be needing it there with the snow conditions and I tought that I could maby find one on the net for cheaper or close to the same price. I probably should have just bought it when I was there. O well if I don't find one I will have to get one there the next time. Thanks WY Rider.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I got a Cat shovel for Christmas. It breaks apart into 3 pieces and has a very sharp pullout saw.
http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/pdf/catalog/2007122.pdf

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
^^^ Also great shovels. A bit more spendy but has the pullout saw. My buddy has one and works great.

Just don't get a crappy Polaris shovel those are a POS.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Go to your nearest Canadian tire, or go to there website ( www.canadiantire.ca ). I bought a folding shovel from them for 15 bucks. It fits in the glove compartment and is really solid metal.

Against a normal size peice of paper:
[attachment=54494]
[attachment=54495]

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a snowclaw. I got one for Christmas and I know that Dennis Kirk has them for under $20. I had to use it today, these things work awesome and are really light.

http://www.snowclaw.com/

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Originally posted by mackinsaw
[br]Go to your nearest Canadian tire, or go to there website ( www.canadiantire.ca ). I bought a folding shovel from them for 15 bucks. It fits in the glove compartment and is really solid metal.

[attachment=54494]
[attachment=54495]
We have an older version, that doesn't fold that small. But has a seratted edge.

Don't tell them Canadian Tire. Any folks living in the states. He means Pep Boys.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,678 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]I got a Cat shovel for Christmas. It breaks apart into 3 pieces and has a very sharp pullout saw.
http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/pdf/catalog/2007122.pdf
That's the same one I have, though I don't have the saw. I've dug myself out a few times with it now...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Originally posted by super_pat_89
[br]
[br]Go to your nearest Canadian tire, or go to there website ( www.canadiantire.ca ). I bought a folding shovel from them for 15 bucks. It fits in the glove compartment and is really solid metal.

[attachment=54494]
[attachment=54495]
We have an older version, that doesn't fold that small. But has a seratted edge.

Don't tell them Canadian Tire. Any folks living in the states. He means Pep Boys.
that is a standard issue military shovel you can get them at any army surplus store for really cheap

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have the SOS shovel (same as the Arctic cat one in the link above) The shovel is great, but I probably use the saw more often. OK I've been accused of riding a 1000cc chainsaw.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally posted by super_pat_89
[br]

[attachment=54494]
[attachment=54495]

It does have a serrated edge its just really hard to see because my camera is really blurry. It is the same shovel used in the survival kits on my step dads medivac planes.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
i love the sos shovels. i got mine for $45. it has a pull out saw and telescopes.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
^^^ same here i love my sos shovel good qaulity and lots of options such as saw in handle or probes in the handle[attachment=52507]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Make mine metal. Lexan shovels won't hold up if you have to dig fast and hard, as in an avalanche rescue.

I have a Lexan WPS with the saw in the handle; the edge of the shovel is beat to death just from the kids building snow forts in the yard. The saw is ok, but very flexible, which makes cutting anything bigger than about 3" pretty difficult.

I also have an SOS with the saw in the handle; the blade is metal, the saw is more robust. I like it lots better.

I carry a Life-link Alpine Pro shovel in my pack, it is a lot bigger than the SOS and is also metal; no saw, but I have a folding saw in the pack as well. I can move a LOT of snow in a hurry with that shovel, which can be very important.

Look for a good, solid shovel that you can really batter into the snow; if you are trying to dig someone out in an avalanche, the snow will be VERY hard and a wimpy shovel won't make it. Saws in the handle and extendable handles are nice as well.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
I have the Tour Veulta pack and shovel.
Metal scoop as mentioned above, telescopes out.
Good shovel in general. Doesn't have the saw in the handle, but I do have the Snobunje folding saw and it works well enough for a survival situation.
Got mine with the pack and with hydration system for $125, but I think the shovel sells for around $45 or so.
I don't use the hydration part any more as water is about 8lbs per gallon and so I'm carring water bottles in the under seat bag on my sled.
I save the pack for carring survival gear and the like.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think i have dicided to go with the T-wood shovel made by voile from http://www.avalanchetools.com/ it is right at $50 plus shipping which seems to be fairly cheep compaired to some and it comes with a saw collapsing handle and its basicly all aluminum. The dimensions are as follows

Shaft alone, retracted: 17.5"

Blade alone: 14" tall, 9.5" wide

Shaft inserted in blade, retracted: 26"

Shaft inserted in blade, extended: 35"

Saw (including handle): 15" (the saw blade is 10")

Let me know if you have had any experiences with these and what you think?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts