Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, My GMC Jimmy isn't gonna cut it. I need something that can haul my sled around easier and do a little better off road. I'd really like to get a full-size truck.

I don't know much about any models or makes. I really have no preference. I guess which ever one has less problems.

I've been looking at the F-150's from 98-99 and 97-98 Silverados/sierras.

Can you all tell me which would be a better truck to look at? What were some common problems of these trucks? Any other models I should look at? My price range is $5000. If i can sell my jimmy that is.

I have this f-150 in mind. were their any problems with these trucks?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2094838611.html

Thank you all so much for your help!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well if it were me I would stay away from that particular truck. I don't like when people say its leaking oil and then just give you some guess as to why. I did a body lift in my friends chevy and I just dont know if i would trust someone else to do one because there are a lot of ways to cut corners doing a BL and who knows if they did? The thing that scares me most is the tranny. Ask to see if he has papers showing the rebuild and when. If he has those, fine, BUT it shifts hard again now? idk man im sure you can find other trucks.

I;m usually not a brand lover although my family has been chevy forever. Anyways, MY buddy bought a `1998 silverado with 177,000 miles and the tranny rebuilt at 110,000 and it has 230,000 on it now and it has been beat to Sh!t and nothing has gone wrong. I mean its just how well the person before took care of it. None of the chevy's from 98-99 ever had problems nor did the F-150's(that I am aware of), but the powerstroke's did. Just do a little research on the internet maybe. Good luck![thumb]

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a 1997 F-150 that is just like the one on the craigslist add you posted. I love the truck. Mine has 194,000 miles and is still running strong. With the 4.6 liter engine I'm averaging about 10 mpg city, but highway isn't bad. In the 6 months I've had mine its been trouble free.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had a 98 expedition 4.6 that had 190000 miles. No problems. 19mpg to south dakota with ac on the entire time.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have a 2001 F-150 5.4. I generally would stay away from buying any lifted truck. Typically the lifts are half assed in and stuff breaks commonly. And I can believe the 4.6 throws enough horses to move those big tires. I would look for a 5.4. Can't think of any common problems. The 5.4's were known to be pretty bulletproof.

·
Registered
222 Posts
SXMTX said:
I had a [highlight=yellow]98 expedition[/highlight=yellow] 4.6 that had 190000 miles. No problems. 19mpg to south dakota with ac on the entire time.
Rear Suspensions were Sh!t in those expeditions. they sagged like a mofo

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dragon700 said:
I have a 2001 F-150 5.4. I generally would stay away from buying any lifted truck. Typically the lifts are half assed in and stuff breaks commonly. And I can believe the 4.6 throws enough horses to move those big tires. I would look for a 5.4. Can't think of any common problems. The 5.4's were known to be pretty bulletproof.
I was also a little weary of the 4.6 with those tires. Especially with mud and sh!t on the tires, it seems like it would put a lot of strain on that motor.

heres another F-150. I'm just not sure it would be worth 4800 with that many miles.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2078410143.html

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
firecatF5 said:
Dragon700 said:
I was also a little weary of the 4.6 with those tires. Especially with mud and sh!t on the tires, it seems like it would put a lot of strain on that motor.

heres another F-150. I'm just not sure it would be worth 4800 with that many miles.

I'm not sure what truck prices are around there compared to here, but I know a decent condition 98' F-150 4x4 Ext. Cab short bed will run you about $3000.

Anyways. The 5.4 is known for producing a cold start knock which is caused by piston slap. MY dads has done it since he bought it was 140,000 miles. Its now almost at 185,000. If your getting a Ford truck, dont expect it to be the fastest thing. My explorer walked all over my dads explorer, except towing. The F-150 could tow a ton! Fuel economy is also not one of their strong points.

I'm a Ford guy and I'm going to be as unbiased as possible. Chevy trucks any year seem to be really good. Pre 99-00' seem to need a tranny replacement on average around 180,000 miles which is decently high. Motors are strong, and the 305's are under powered.

Dodge used a straight axle in the front for a while. While not saying it's not a bad thing, I'd rather have a control arm setup. Dodge is known for power, and bad trannys.

Keep looking for good deals and I'm sure you'll find one eventually.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I've been Talking to the guy with the lifted ford. He sent me some pictures and it looks like it's pretty well done. I'll pit the pictures up tonight

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
firecatF5 said:
Well I've been Talking to the guy with the lifted ford. He sent me some pictures and it looks like it's pretty well done. I'll pit the pictures up tonight
I'd stay away from it. It will need the oil leaked fixed (could be $20 could be $500) it needs new tires soon (at least $800 for some good ones) and the tranny needs some work (probably around $500). In other words, if your not mechanically inclined...it wouldn't be worth it. You will constantly be fixing it. And that's coming from a Ford guy.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
sledcrusher said:
firecatF5 said:
Dragon700 said:

I'm not sure what truck prices are around there compared to here, but I know a decent condition 98' F-150 4x4 Ext. Cab short bed will run you about $3000.

Anyways. The 5.4 is known for producing a cold start knock which is caused by piston slap. MY dads has done it since he bought it was 140,000 miles. Its now almost at 185,000. If your getting a Ford truck, dont expect it to be the fastest thing. My explorer walked all over my dads explorer, except towing. The F-150 could tow a ton! Fuel economy is also not one of their strong points.

I'm a Ford guy and I'm going to be as unbiased as possible. Chevy trucks any year seem to be really good. Pre 99-00' seem to need a tranny replacement on average around 180,000 miles which is decently high. Motors are strong, and the 305's are under powered.

Dodge used a straight axle in the front for a while. While not saying it's not a bad thing, I'd rather have a control arm setup. [highlight=red]Dodge is known for power, and bad trannys. [/highlight=red]

Keep looking for good deals and I'm sure you'll find one eventually.
I heard that in the production lines they would throw a half ton transmission in a full ton truck and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
the only reason why dodge trannys are the way they are is because dodge went the other way then ford and chevy with the tranny pumps they wont pump when the tranny is in park only in neutral so when people start there truck in the cold or even summer and go in and have there coffee while its getting warm its not circulating so there for the pump goes in them and everyone thinks they lost reverse or first gear ex. i start mine and put it in neutral 365 days a year to warm up. thats why people say get a dodge if you can get a 5 speed the trannys dont go in them..thats only because you have to start them in neutral

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
the only reason why dodge trannys are the way they are is because dodge went the other way then ford and chevy with the tranny pumps they wont pump when the tranny is in park only in neutral so when people start there truck in the cold or even summer and go in and have there coffee while its getting warm its not circulating so there for the pump goes in them and everyone thinks they lost reverse or first gear ex. i start mine and put it in neutral 365 days a year to warm up. thats why people say get a dodge if you can get a 5 speed the trannys dont go in them..thats only because you have to start them in neutral
That's some pretty good info. I will remember that if i ever buy a dodge[thumb]

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a couple buddy's with the 98 chev-gmc's, they had no problems with theirs. One still has his, and he bought it new, I believe. My dad's 99 f150 had tranny problems at 130 000 easy kms, but after fluid and filter change on it, it is still going. The 99+ 5.4 just have a crappy spark plug system. He had a couple pop out, and strip threads, got it fixed, and now seems all right. I am still driving my 92 gmc, with the 5.7l 350. 378 000kms. the Vortec 5.7l have way more power, and as good or better reliability. I got tired of my slow tranny at 313k, and put in a extra heavy duty one for $1400. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The mid to late 90's chevy pickups to me are your best option if your going to look for a 350.. 350's just keep on going. I've got a 350 in my pickup with 239,000 on it and i've just got to add a little oil here and there but other than that she runs strong.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah. You are all right about the lifted ford. I'll keep looking for 97-99 silverados and f150s. At about what mileage did the silverados and Sierras start experiencing engine or drive train problems?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
teamarctic14 said:
That's some pretty good info. I will remember that if i ever buy a dodge[thumb]
now that was with the just say the 90s and real early 2000s im not sure if they went back to being ok in park and in know they had the allison trannys in them for awhile so im sure it was fixed in those trannys but i have never had a problem with em

·
Registered
269 Posts
i owned a 98 f150 with the 4.6 motor. the trans in the fords are a more solid shift. i extremly dislike thsoe motors and their setup cant work on them yourself. have problems with coolant leaking onto the wires on number 8 and shooting sprk plugs through the heads (4.6l was not known for this, 5.4 was really bad for this) they didnt put enough threads in the head so when u go take the plug out they strip and somtimes just blow for no reason. i would not buy another one just due to the motor and not being able to do your own work. just my opinion after owning both.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts