Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 2002 Ski-Doo Mxz-X 800. Here is the ad(has pictures):

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-snowmobiles-2002-SKI-DOO-MXZ800X-W0QQAdIdZ209376160

I can get it for $3900 cash.

So, are the 800cc Rotax with R.A.V.E & MPEM a good motor? Are the 2002 Mxz-X's nice sleds?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hmmm, I'd be leary...Just lost interest??? how do ya lose interest in snowmobiling? Seems like a lot for that many miles and age. I believe the 800 had some issues???? I'd keep shopping, ya got all summer right? Take your time..

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2400 miles is not a lot........ And supposedly, the 800 in 2002 were pretty reliable. worthy of 9000 km all original. and was sled of the year in 2002. but anyone here that owns one?

He said he gets like zero snow where he lives, and is tired of chasing snow. and lost interest in snowmobiling.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i seen the sled the other day. if i were you, i would look for a zx chassis 6,7,800 that was owned by an older man, and do what you want to it.
i woulds rather by a stock sled that hasnt been tinkered with by a kid and make it how you want it.

although that is low miles and a sick sled.
its a little pricey though aswell.

p.s. this sled has made me want to get a sledwrap for my sled!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Looks like a nice sled, I would check the compression in the cylinders before laying money down. Also check out the clutching and make sure everything looks legitimate. I would try and talk him down more, it is the summer and you should be able to get great deals on sleds. Anyways if there is anything wrong with the sled you can't call him out on it because you have a good 5-6 months before you can ride it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
ok can u translate the canadian dollars to american dollars please cause if he is only asking like 2500 american that is not that bad but make sure you look it over really good.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Where are you getting all this money? Didn't you just buy a ski doo race sled?

Cool looking sled though.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Pass. thats a lot for that old of a sled. look around, you'd be supprised how much you can get with the same amount of money.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
jesse500 said:
2400 miles is not a lot........ And supposedly, [highlight=red]the 800 in 2002 were pretty reliable. worthy of 9000[/highlight=red] km all original. and was sled of the year in 2002. but anyone here that owns one?

He said he gets like zero snow where he lives, and is tired of chasing snow. and lost interest in snowmobiling.
i dont know KM-Miles but those pre P-Tek 800's we notorious for their rings flaking out at 4000 miles. then their crank bearings were soon to follow. plus they used single-ring pistons, which lost compression faster. i would steer away from those, unless its already been gone through. my buddy on his 04 rev 800 (not P-Tek) the rings flaked at 3900 miles, then the crank bearings went 150 miles later.

·
Registered
480 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
You may be confusing him with Sledcrusher?
Nope, its him.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mxz440kid said:
i seen the sled the other day. if i were you, i would look for a zx chassis 6,7,800 that was owned by an older man, and do what you want to it.
i would rather by a stock sled that hasnt been tinkered with by a kid and make it how you want it.

although that is low miles and a sick sled.
its a little pricey though aswell.

p.s. this sled has made me want to get a sledwrap for my sled!
Thats the thing, I need the Mxz-X chassis/shocks. And I looked around Kijiji, I can't find a decent Mxz-X for under $3300. And for the $600 savings, the extra parts on the one I am looking at, I can't build one like that for cheaper than $600. I only want the 800, or else I am getting a Polaris Pro-X 600.

And the sled is immaculent, he sent me a lot of photos through email, like zero scratches. And he Isn't a kid. He's in his thirties I am pretty sure. The sled is close to showroom condition, and is not really "modded" only a 6" riser, can, skis, and decals......... oh, and V-force 3 reeds.

It is a little pricey, yes, but it has low, low miles (2400 miles = 4000 km), is in great shape, has a mint 1" thick, full lug track with 96 quality studs, looks exactly how I would modify it.

BAMT700 said:
Looks like a nice sled, I would check the compression in the cylinders before laying money down. Also check out the clutching and make sure everything looks legitimate. I would try and talk him down more, it is the summer and you should be able to get great deals on sleds. Anyways if there is anything wrong with the sled you can't call him out on it because you have a good 5-6 months before you can ride it.
It appears to be in GREAT shape. Oh, and I would check it over real well (with "a fine tooth comb") before buying it. I talked him down from $4300 to $3900.

zecow224 said:
ok can u translate the canadian dollars to american dollars please cause if he is only asking like 2500 american that is not that bad but make sure you look it over really good.
[?] Our dollar's are at par pretty well.. He is asking $4300, I talked him down to $3900.

nhrider said:
Where are you getting all this money? Didn't you just buy a ski doo race sled?

Cool looking sled though.
I put a $300 down payment on a 2007 Mxz-X, and he didn't mind me backing out, as he found a rider in his team for it next season. I got $225 back. And I lost $40 in gas there, and back.

firecatF5 said:
Pass. thats a lot for that old of a sled. look around, you'd be surprised how much you can get with the same amount of money.
I did look around, a lot, and I can't find much else in a Ski-Doo better than some very high milage Mxz Rev 600's, and ugly ass 800 Mxz Rev's. Here, the going rate for 2001+ Mxzx's is over $3000, and most aren't in as good of shape as the one in the ad.

·
Registered
863 Posts
don't forget, its only June, you still have 6 months before riding at least! don't get in a rush, wait some time and find a sled that is perfect!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dragon700 said:
jesse500 said:
2400 miles is not a lot........ And supposedly, [highlight=red]the 800 in 2002 were pretty reliable. worthy of 9000[/highlight=red] km all original. and was sled of the year in 2002. but anyone here that owns one?

i don't know KM-Miles but those pre P-Tek 800's we notorious for their rings flaking out at 4000 miles. then their crank bearings were soon to follow. plus they used single-ring pistons, which lost compression faster. i would steer away from those, unless its already been gone through. my buddy on his 04 rev 800 (not P-Tek) the rings flaked at 3900 miles, then the crank bearings went 150 miles later.
It's not a 800 h.o, and it's not a 800 h.o PowerTek. Its a 800cc with R.A.V.E (non- H.O)

And i did some research (google) and supposably that motor, is pretty reliable, and are known to run 8000+ km no problem.

mxz440kid said:
don't forget, its only June, you still have 6 months before riding at least! don't get in a rush, wait some time and find a sled that is perfect!
Very true! Thats why Im not heading off to buy it right now, just putting on my list of "potential sleds".

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
For that much money, I would stay far away from that sled.

You said those motors were reliable? Like hell they are. Sure, some go for 10,000+ miles, but in reality they usually grenade right around 4000 miles. They had crank bearing problems as well as a few other issues. Look for a 600, or a 700 if you go ZX. The 700's were only a few hp less than the 800, with twice the reliability.

Someone mentioned the 800 Ptek having a ring flaking problem, wrong. The 03-04 800's had a few slight problems, but the only problem the 800 ptek had was that the carbs didnt have an adjustable needle and would lean out in mid-high range. You would have to shim them, and then they work great.

What happened to getting a race sled? Although the MXZx trail chassis for 2002 was awesome ( Completely different than any other year MXZx, and the tunnel is expensive and hard to find if you bend one ) in the end it's still no race sled.

Also Jesse, you had to emphasize that it was an 800 non-h.o. with RAVE. Most newer Ski-Doo's are "with rave". Rave + Rotax Adjustable Variable Exhaust, meaning it has exhaust valves. This includes 440, 500, 583, 600, 600 h.o., 670, 670 h.o., 700, 800, and 809. The SDI sleds use E-Raves ( electronic Rave valves )

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
sledcrusher said:

You said those motors were reliable? Like hell they are. Sure, some go for 10,000+ miles, but in reality they usually grenade right around 4000 miles. They had crank bearing problems as well as a few other issues. Look for a 600, or a 700 if you go ZX. The 700's were only a few hp less than the 800, with twice the reliability.

Someone mentioned the 800 Ptek [/color=red]having a ring flaking problem, wrong. The 03-04 800's had a few slight problems, but the only problem the 800 ptek had was that the carbs didnt have an adjustable needle and would lean out in mid-high range. You would have to shim them, and then they work great.

What happened to getting a race sled? Although the MXZx trail chassis for 2002 was awesome ( Completely different than any other year MXZx, and the tunnel is expensive and hard to find if you bend one ) in the end it's still no race sled.

Also Jesse, you had to emphasize that it was an 800 non-h.o. with RAVE. Most newer Ski-Doo's are "with rave". Rave + Rotax Adjustable Variable Exhaust, meaning it has exhaust valves. This includes 440, 500, 583, 600, 600 h.o., 670, 670 h.o., 700, 800, and 809. The SDI sleds use E-Raves ( electronic Rave valves )

I meant Pre P-Tek.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sledcrusher said:

Someone mentioned the 800 Ptek having a ring flaking problem, wrong. The 03-04 800's had a few slight problems, but the only problem the 800 ptek had was that the carbs didnt have an adjustable needle and would lean out in mid-high range. You would have to shim them, and then they work great.

your area has sleds for steals, every sled around here is probably twice as expensive as where you are. And i decided i Dont want a 440.

And I know what RAVE means, and what sled they came on.

mxz440kid said:
wanna buy my zx?
3400 km.

20105719613528_23909.jpg

20105719754903_23909.jpg
I'm not going to lie, I would be interested for the right price.

·
Registered
863 Posts
jesse500 said:
sledcrusher said:

your area has sleds for steals, every sled around here is probably twice as expensive as where you are. And i decided i Dont want a 440.

And I know what RAVE means, and what sled they came on.

mxz440kid said:
wanna buy my zx?
3400 km.

20105719613528_23909.jpg

20105719754903_23909.jpg
I'm not going to lie, I would be interested for the right price.
make an offer man.
i need a truck! but i'm not giving it away.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts