Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm looking at trading in my 97 MXZ 670 for a newer machine. I have a tendancy to go off the trail, and find it a hell of a lot more fun riding in powder than on boring trails [;)] Everyone says i should have a long track, but i want something that i can kick around on the trail since my buddy is a trail rider, and around our place there isn't a lot of places to ride powder or mountains.

I really like the new renegades with the 131" track, i think a medium length track would be perfect.... are they're any other sleds I should be considering, I also like Polaris (my uncle has a dealership which helps!!). What sleds are in this category of being a high performance dual purpose machine?

I'm thinking of at least a 700cc, nothing less than the 670 i'm already used to. [:D]

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Polaris Switchback is sweet! Even has your DOO colors in it.....

/snofan/../images/users/acexlt/Image-F0B11B794F7A11D7.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/acexlt/Image-F0B0D80E4F7A11D7.jpg

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
A Ski-Doo Renagade would be a great choice, plus you already ride one!!! I would suggest at least a 136", for other brands... You can't count out the Switchback or SKS from Polaris, which comes in a 7 or 800, with a 144x1.25". From what I have seen the Firecats are doing real well in the mountains with there 128, and they also have kits to run 144 or 151 with a 1.5" paddle which could make a great crossover sled. Just check out dealers and websites, there are alot of sleds that would suit you, just check around!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i have the 03 sks 700 and it is the ultimate all around sled cant be beat for all around riding..i ride with alot of ppl on trails and in powder,and in the powder or on hills the 144 inch is sweet..on the trails it handles just as good as any other machine i ride with..dont let the 144 inch track discourage you into getting a smaller track..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the switchback as well, but i don't think i got the budjet for a new sled... so i'm probably looking at something a few years old...

I've never tried a long track, they have no problems handling in trails?

Really the majority of my riding is probably trail, i just really want something i can trow off trail anywhere!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
the sks 700 is a great sled. it has the added flotation but its track only has 1.25 inch lugs. i wasnt one but theres not enough powder here.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Crash,

The newer long tracked sleds have tipped up rails in the back. That way all 136" or 144" of the track isn't in contact with the trail. When you get into the powder then you have the advantage of the longer track.

A friend that I ride with has '03RMK and a '01 XC700. I didn't get a chance to ride his RMK this year due to poor snow conditions, but he says that there is hardly and difference, if any, between the trail handling characteristrics of the two sleds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by pigboy
[br]Crash,

The newer long tracked sleds have tipped up rails in the back. That way all 136" or 144" of the track isn't in contact with the trail. When you get into the powder then you have the advantage of the longer track.

A friend that I ride with has '03RMK and a '01 XC700. I didn't get a chance to ride his RMK this year due to poor snow conditions, but he says that there is hardly and difference, if any, between the trail handling characteristrics of the two sleds.
really? I never knew that! In that case i would understand how they would be similar until you get off trail! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by 93coty
[br]A long track F7 would fit your conditions pretty well. [;)]
I agree..... except for the $$$ [:p]
Man, i think the switchback looks like one hell of a machine!!!

How do the new 700's compare to my 97 670? Huge difference or similar power?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm constantly amazed by the awesome pictures and great advice. I didn't know that about the tipped up rails either. A few times this year I got off the beaten path and wished for a little more flotation.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That switch back is one sweet looking sled! What is the price tag on it?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Are any of you guys reading his posts?? Cuz after the SECOND time he said he doesn't have money for a NEW sled there are still posts saying to buy a NEW one....WTF?? Anyway if your on a budget there are still options, if you want to stay with ski-doo you could still look for a Renegade..just a few years older. Or put a 136 on your 670, the motor will definetly turn it. I guess just check around, I'm sure there are quite a few more options out there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ski doo renegade would be good choice. hehhehee.. i have one[:D][:D]/snofan/../images/users/Dooer/renegade.gif

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris XLTSP
[br]I'm constantly amazed by the awesome pictures and great advice. I didn't know that about the tipped up rails either. A few times this year I got off the beaten path and wished for a little more flotation.
Yea, here is the quote from the polaris site.

"The Polaris-exclusive Dual Purpose Rail (DPR) design delivers the agility of a top-notch trail performance machine, with the flotation and chatter-bump absorption you’d find in a long-track sled "

Both the RMK and switchback/sks models had these for '03 and now '04. I'm not sure about earlier models. Perhaps some of the sks fellas could chime in as to whether or not thier sleds have it or not.

Might be useful information if crsh is looking at an used sks.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey [email protected],
Want is your budget...I've seen '99 and '00
700 SKS's between $5000.00 and $6000.00 cdn.
You should be able to find a '99 for less than 5 at this time of year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Dooer
[br]Ski doo renegade would be good choice. hehhehee.. i have one[:D][:D]/snofan/../images/users/Dooer/renegade.gif
Hey Dooer! How do you find your sled when you get off the trail? Is it enough of a track to keep you on top and climbing? And which engine do you have and how do you find it compares to others you have tried?

I looked at 2 2003 Renegades that haven't been sold yet last night. My buddy was also telling me that handle grip warmers weren't an option yet the two last night had them?!? Do you have the full guage package or just spedo and tach?

Lots of questions, but i want to be sure of whats out there!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts