Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some pics in deep snow. The sight of a deep powder sled in where it is suppose to be is something else

2002 700 RMK

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I appreciate it. I dream of being about to sled in powder. I'm in a wheelchair, but I took up sledding sense my accident. But I'm figuring out ways to do modifactions to make different things work for me. I ride a 2002 700 RMK, and I love it. Just have to figure out away so I can shift my weight w/o out falling off then I have it made. I have a rack to hold a folding chair I have on the back of the sled. I also pull a trailer if it is a trip. So if you see a sled fly by you with a wheelchair on the back, Hi :eek:)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I found this one at:
www.mountainsled.com
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/jayturn3.gif

·
Registered
874 Posts
bigtoyz, it's great to hear that you've discovered this incredible sport of ours. Good luck with your mods. You're riding a terrific machine. When you make it to the mountains, don't forget to stop and look around, it truely is breathe taking.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will make sure to stop, to take a look around. I see the pics of the mountains and it is awsome. Plus seeing just what I went up to get there. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Took a trip to Lake Tahoe a few years back. We rented some sleds and it was awsome, even though I was on an Indy lite.
/snofan/../images/users/Bill/mtsled2.jpg

"...Then one day you find 10 years have got behind you, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun."

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
u want lots of pics?

http://www.snowest.com/gallery/photo.cfm

then click on different catagories. Boondocking has LOTS of deep snow pics.

Crash and burn and stuck pics are always fun too!

-Dean

-
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks ripper2 they are some good pics!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Since where on the topic of pictures, what are some of the best cameras to use while riding? I don't mean setting up a tripod and huge expensive high-quality cameras for still shots. I'm talking something that consumers can buy and take on a trip for great shots in all conditions and carry with while riding. What do you some of you guys use?

Digital or film?

Are digital camera's quick enough to take instant snap photos of mid-air jumps for example? I hate the time delay of the one's i've used.

Do you really need a zoom lens for great Mt. shots?

I've had some photography classes so i'm not totally stripped of camera knowledge, but i'd really like to hear from those of you with more experience. I do believe there are professional photographers in this forum too. Let's hear some ideas. I've got a trip planned for January.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
any cameras ive ever used while riding were disposable cameras. for quick snapshots and mid air snapshots nothing will beat film. Unless you have a 1200 dollar digital with no delay

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
A good digicam of around 2MP or more will do great. I have one that is as small or smaller than a regular camera, and is 3MP. About $400 in the stores.

Takes great action shots, but you gotta be prepared and set up the shot a little. Digital camera's require a certain time to focus and light meter, and it's much longer than a film camera. But you can get around this limitation, becuse most (including mine), you can push the shutter half way down, and it will auto-focus and light meter. Then have the person hit the jump, and press the shutter the rest of the way down. It will snap the picture instantly, no delay. Turns out terrific for anything that you can have 3-4 secconds to put the shutter halfway down before you need to take the picture.

Digital's can be printed most anywhere for 40 cents a picture also, a little more than film, but you can choose to print only the pics you really want printed, you don't have to do all the pics on the media. Modern camera's have a "print mark" you can enable for a given picture on the media, and printing companies will print just the pictures with the print mark if you tell them to.

-Dean

-

http://ripperd2.dhs.org

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Digitals are great, heck I built my portrait studio around them, but when I get on my sled, my Nikon D1X is locked in the studio with the security system on, it's worth twice as much as my sled.

Digital cameras can be very tempermental when it comes to dry cold then walking inside a nice moist house and the CCD fogs up and creates halos on any pictures from then on.

My old manual Nikon FM2 is what I take along, if I take the batteries out it is still fully functional at -30, (although I need to guess exposures or bring a small light meter).

Those old 35mm SLR cameras are getting cheap to buy used now that ppl are trading them off on digitals, and you can take one of those negs and make a 16x20 easily which is something even a 3mp digital can't do, (at least very well).

So go buy an old 35mm SLR and have some fun, wait to go digital when you can get a 6 megapixel camera like mine for $1500.00 CDN.

Nikon just came out with a lesser version of mine, the D100, it dosen't have all the bells and whistles, but a 6mp camera for $3500.00 CDN is a deal.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Thanks for the insight.

I personally don't own a digital, so i've been using an older 35mm. I thought this was old-school stuff already, but i like your idea. SLR would work even better than what i'm using now. I'm going to check out prices.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by 500fasEnuf:
Digital cameras can be very tempermental when it comes to dry cold then walking inside a nice moist house and the CCD fogs up and creates halos on any pictures from then on.
[/quote]

This is not specific to digital cameras alone. The optics on ANYTHING (including your helmet and glasses), will fog up. It's a simple condensation problem. Similar problems will happen with a film camera, the image will get very soft, from the diffusion by the fog on the lense.

As far as SLR's go, while riding, i could never use one. Too big. My digicam is just slightly larger than a disposeable, so it fits in a coat pocket (protected by putting it inside a glove or something). A big camera would definitly be a problem. I brought my DV camera (which is only slightly larger than an SLR), and it gets in the way alot. I usually bring a backpack with the DV camera put in a very protective case, if I'm bringing my DV camera along for a ride.

here is a pic for a size comparision -

3.3MP, and very easy to carry.

-Dean

-

http://ripperd2.dhs.org

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The CCD is inaccessable on almost any digital camera, whereas, an slr can quickly be cleaned in about 1 minute, this was the point I was trying to make.

But Rip, you might consider putting your camera in a ziplock bag when you come inside, and let it wrm up before removing it, this will really help that condensation problem immensely.

BTW- 3.3 mp, nice res, good to 11x14 size enlargements.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts