Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

A few friends and I are looking for some recommendations on what type of snowmobiles we should get for our first sled purchase ever. Let me tell you a little about us what we would like to do with them, and maybe that will help:
  • We are all in the 180-220 pound range
  • We aren't interested in hardpacked racing...we're into more of the "off the beaten path" type stuff, so we need something that's going to do well in powder
  • We might want to tow a skier in order to do some backcountry skiing
  • We aren't looking to spend $$$$$ if a sled that costs $$ will do the same job...however, that being said, we'd rather spend money on something that's going to make us happy rather than skimp and get something we don't really want
Here are a couple specific questions also:
  • What is the difference between a long track and short track sled? I assume long track would be more what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure I really understand the difference.
  • What would an optimal cc range be? To a point, I'm sure bigger is better, but then we have to start worrying about sled weight in the powder, right? We don't want to have to wrestle a 700 lb beast out of the snow every time we get stuck (being novice/intermediate riders, I'm sure we'll get stuck at least a few times).
Did I miss anything? Like I said, we've never owned sleds before, so maybe there is some other important info that I missed that would narrow down the decision making process. Basically, I'm just looking for any/all info on what to look for and what not to look for, etc.

Thanks everyone!
Matt

·
Registered
963 Posts
i would buy like a 00 700 rmk, summit, powder special or something of that sort. you wouldn't want anything over a 700 for your first sled. a short track is made for trails and long tracks for the mountain because there are more lugs on the ground. you want to run about a 2 inch lug or bigger. where do you live? where are you going to be riding?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
id go 97-98 polaris triple. the engines last forever and their great off and on the trails, also arnt that much $$

·
Registered
191 Posts
just stay away from the late 90's cats.....iv heard some bad stories from friends bout them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Colorado, so we'd be trailering them up to Granby, or Rabbit Ears Pass, etc.

As far as buying a used sled (one of you mentioned a '97-'98 and the other mentioned a '00), how do I make sure that I get one that's in good shape and hasn't been beaten up? People will say ANYTHING to sell something, so just because it says "has never been wrecked", etc, that doesn't mean it hasn't been wrecked. Buying used always makes me worry because you don't really know what you're getting into.

Honestly, I might feel much better buying something new, even though it's going to cost me a little more, becuase then I know that anything that happens is my fault, or will be covered by some sort of warranty.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would look for a RMK in a 600 or 700 both will do what you want.If it was me for a first sled I probably wouldn't go any longer than a 144,but a 151 max.The long tracks are nice for powder and for the hills.I rode a 900 RMK with a 166 track and it takes some room to get it turned around and they are very heavy.Powder specials are good sleds too, just get a good track.If you check around you'll find what you want.Really look it over good before buying.

·
Registered
963 Posts
if you are looking at one check the clutchs, engine, suspension, chaincase, bearings, and how well it is running.

·
Registered
252 Posts
the only thing about buying new is you lose more money.
I like to work on my own sled so I know every little thing about it.I don't know about you but I'm not up to date on all the computerized stuff on new sleds.So if you have a problem on the trail the average joe can't trouble shot and get it solved,in to the dealer more $$$
If you like new that's fine but if you wreck being new to riding there goes 8 grand or more!!Saw this happen last year.
Justs my .02cents

·
Registered
690 Posts
buy an 99-01 polaris 700 or 800, an rmk would probably be the best for you, how much money are you willing to spend

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by polaris09
[br]buy an 99-01 polaris 700 or 800, an rmk would probably be the best for you, how much money are you willing to spend
The problem is that I don't know how much sleds cost, so I don't want to say I'm willing to spend $XXXX if they normally cost $YYYY, etc. I'd say I could probably reasonably spend $6-8K...it kinda depends on the financing options, etc.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
6k would do awesome on a used sled..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-polaris-800-switchback-with-extras_W0QQitemZ190067389817QQihZ009QQcategoryZ42597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looking for recommendation for 1st snowmobile....

This year... one with wheels![:D]

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am new to the snowmobile world myself and as a newbie I bought myself a 00' 700RMK and 00' 600RMK for my wife.The conditions where I ride are probably the same as where you will be riding. I have never rode anything else but man do these machines rip it up.When I go out with others that have the bigger sleds I keep up just fine except I cant climb the 90 degree 6ft of powder mountains. But just out boondocking and jumping and riding the powder I am right with those other 800/900 longtracks. They seem really reliable and from what people on this forum have told me they always have been. Just keep around and see what people are saying on this site most of them really know there stuff and have helped me as a newbie!Also you can probably pick one of these up for $2000-$3000 just watch out like you said there are some junkers out there! I would look for who owns it and what extras have been done to it. If some old man has owned it and is bone stock guaranteed the machine was taken care of. Now if some 20-30 yr old comes to ya and has one all modded out I would be very hesitant on that do to what type of riding was done to justify the mods!

·
Registered
690 Posts
6-8 grand and you can buy yourself a 2006 sled, you should be able to buy a damn nice sled, spend a couple more grand and you can have the sweetest sled of 2007 and thats the 07 dragon

·
Registered
269 Posts
Currently on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...y.com:80/?from=R40&satitle=300066353970&fvi=1
Included: Original Cover

Model: Indy Sport 340cc

Accessories: Heated Handle Bars/ Thumb Warmer

Features: Original Polaris Trunk Bag

Condition: This beautiful sled that has literally been sitting in an enclosed trailer for the last 15 years!! Carefully stored by the original owner. This sled starts and runs great!! Needs absolutely nothing. Brand new spare belt included! Correct rear Polaris bag included! An extra pair of new regular skags included! Look at the photos closely and email me if you have any questions. I started this sled and drove it around on my lawn for a few minutes and it runs perfectly. This sled has NO rips or tears in the seat, NO dents or dings that I can see and the skis are not bent or beat up either. The plastic tub above the skis and the black part of the hood looks like it was waxed and it appears whitish because of that. Please ask me about helping with delivery - I may meet you or help out in any way I can.

On a scale of 1-10 this sled is a solid 9 !!!!!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Seems like you want a newer sled. I think a M7 153" would be perfect. There are some great deals on leftover models and they have full warranty. They are very light and easy to handle off trail. I have over 3000miles on my 06 M7 and havent lost a day to repairs yet. There are also a ton of mods available in case you get majorly hooked and want more power.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts