Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm thinking about a couple different ideas for a sled this winter. This what I have going on, I'm finishing two 2001 Arctic Cat Sno-Pros for my older brother. I have D&D twin pipes on both sleds with non powervalve 600s in them, I'm making both sleds to be quick not fast. Neither will go over 85 on a radar run. Now for my question, I blew up my ProX so now I'm trying to decide what to ride this winter but I have to be able to beat his sleds also. Here is what I have a 98 XC 600 cloned to look like a 98 XCR 440. This is what I have to put on this sled- Vforce3s, Edge Skid (with Tracks USA extension 136), 1 1/4 136 track, Boss HighRise Seat, IQR bars, plus everything stock for this sled. Or instead of building this sled I can buy a 2002 Polaris XC 600 VES with twin pipes, high comp head, Vforce Reeds, stretched out to 136 also, which way should I go? Oh yes I do switch sleds way too often so whatever I do, I'll probably do somthing else also before winter.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I really like the goodies that are going to be on the '98, particular the 1.25 inch track and the BOSS seat and the 136 Edge suspension. But I absolutely hate the ergonomics and user controls of the wedge chassis- the brake system, hand warmers, high beam, and the angles in the handle bar are extremely outdated.
So my vote goes to the 2002 VES edge hands down (even though I really hate 2002's graphics for the XCSP's). If possible, put the BOSS highrise on it, and make sure the track has inch and a quarter lugs (use the one you have if it doesn't come with one).

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
My vote is the xc, newer sled, better ergonomics, and powervalves. I must ask though, why are you making the snopros slow? Slow might not be the right word but still.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I was going to build up the 98 xc6 was because my favorite Polaris sled is the 98 RED ROCKET. But I've never rode a Wedge sled because I rod Yamaha SRXs and Arctic Cats during that time period. My Boss seat is a EDGE seat but I put it on any Polaris I have along with a EDGE tank. Also My 1 1/4 136 can go on what ever I ride this winter. I use a FLY T-Post adapter on all my steering post to convert them to T-post style so I can use My 6" riser block and IQR bars. I don't mind the light switch because its the same as on my ProX but could I use some other braking system off of somthing else? I'll keep my RSI kill switch and two piece throttle also. What about the front CRC suspension on the Wedge is there somthing I can do to level the sled with the EDGE skid in the rear?

Empire087 said:
My vote is the xc, newer sled, better ergonomics, and powervalves. I must ask though, why are you making the snopros slow? Slow might not be the right word but still.
What do you mean slow? Do you mean the 600 non powervalves? They both came with these engines but neither sled was finished, not even close. I still have to bolt the engines down, thats how far from finished they were. My brother wants them quick but most of all reliable. Do you have any ideas on what I should do to his sleds? I'm not real knowledgable on Arctic Cats.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
The 600s were pretty good engine, im going to take a guess they are probably from a 98/99 zr. If you want them quick not slow, i would gear the stock sno pro gears up a little, and the clutchs should be done to a similar fashion. the thing is though dual pipes do take away from the reliability some. As long as the engines were good to start with i dont think there would be any problems with reliability. Quinlan did something of similar fashion except to a little older of a zr, he might be able to chime in a little on this to fill in some of the gaps. i guess i just read that off.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
ssracing said:
Well I'm thinking about a couple different ideas for a sled this winter. This what I have going on, I'm finishing two 2001 Arctic Cat Sno-Pros for my older brother. I have D&D twin pipes on both sleds with non powervalve 600s in them, I'm making both sleds to be quick not fast. Neither will go over 85 on a radar run. Now for my question, I blew up my ProX so now I'm trying to decide what to ride this winter but I have to be able to beat his sleds also. Here is what I have a 98 XC 600 cloned to look like a 98 XCR 440. This is what I have to put on this sled- Vforce3s, Edge Skid (with Tracks USA extension 136), 1 1/4 136 track, Boss HighRise Seat, IQR bars, plus everything stock for this sled. Or instead of building this sled I can buy a 2002 Polaris XC 600 VES with twin pipes, high comp head, Vforce Reeds, stretched out to 136 also, which way should I go? Oh yes I do switch sleds way too often so whatever I do, I'll probably do somthing else also before winter.
First off I need to ask??? In what way do you want to beat the above mentioned sleds, I am guessing that your gonna gear the cats down so that the top speed will be in the 85 MPH range that you have specified, now as for that XCR 440 clone sleeper 600 you got from Roger (yeah I know about that sled) there are many things you can do but like I was saying in what way do you want to be able to beat the Sno-Pros as they are going to shine a lot more in the rough stuff than the older XC wedge chassis, now don't get me wrong with a capable rider and properly setup the old wedge can hold its own, putting the V-Force III's in is only going to improve throttle response and crispness, they are not gonna add any noticeable HP gains all by themselves, putting in the edge skid and stretching it to a 136 along with a 1.25 track will scrub off some of the top end speed the standard extra 10 121 setup was making, so again your at a cross road on which way to go, most are probably gonna say to go with the 02 edge that is already setup to scream and that will most likely give the cats everything they can handle, or if you stay with the 440 hooded 600 there are things you can do to make it run, they were not exactly slouches to begin with as they would run with their big brother 700 up to about 80 and then the 7 will check out in all out speed runs, just ask Roger about what Steve (98700xc) knows about what it takes to make the old big block run, and if you do stay with the old wedge I would just put a 700 top end on it, let me set it up for you and and those 600 cats will see nothing but tail light and then a cloud of snow dust, but again that will only be in conditions that favor that older wedge chassis, the edge suspension stretched out will help it out greatly in the rough stuff but the limiting factor on them is the front suspension, there is not a whole lot you can do to improve it without spending some serious money on stretching it out and even then the travel and width gains will not be worth the time,money and effort, but if you want to make it a true wolf in sheeps clothing HOT ROD I know Roger has most of the parts to get it there, and then if you want let me set it up for you, there is a good chance that I will be up there for the swap meet in Mancelona on the 21st, my brother and I are thinking about bring a trailer full of part to sell to get a jump on this seasons swap meet sales, so in the end your gonna have to be specific on which way you want to be able to outperform the other sleds you mentioned, setup is everything and over the years I have learned that you can't have the best of both worlds all the time with one sled, you can achieve a happy medium but being able to smash and thrash in the rough stuff and then want to be able to run up over the C-Note mark don't really go hand in hand, let me know what you decide and we can talk about it at the swap meet on the 21st.

I'd also like to add that now that I'm getting up there in my years...lol...I have become more focused on drag racing and going fast in a straight line, my ditch banging,mogul bashing snow cross wannabe days are over, so just keep that in mind, if you want the old XC to be a straight line rocket I can steer you in the right direction, if you looking to go the other route then I am sure a lot of these other guys on here can give you plenty of good tips also.

Here is a little clip of my sled setup for and running on the ice this past winter, one of my crew is at the controls and I am behind the camera, the setup that was in it ran "really good", for this coming winter I have something going in it that is gonna make it even more of a rocket ship.

View attachment 201013120135591_8010.avi

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they are out of 98-99 ZRs. I do plan on clutching them for high engagment but I wanted the gearing about the same as the stock sno-pros because I don't want top speed. I have one set of D&Ds with stingers and one set with a two in one silencer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger has told me all about you and I've read hundreds of your post. Your a lot of the reason I know what I know (from your post and talking with Roger) so for that thanks. It will be nice to talk with you at the swap. As for where I want to win, I don't care if I ever go over 85mph. I would like it set up for 550ft, and still be able to run in 600 improved class. Would pipes help? If so can I use 700 pipes? On the front suspension could I put something like 2" longer shocks on?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
For the front suspension you can used the longer edge chassis front shocks and then to widen it get upper and lower radius rods and steering rods off a 2000 GEN II chassis, doing this gives it about another inch to inch and a half of travel and widens it out about 1 to 1 1/2 inches also, you cannot use 700 twin pipes on the 600 but I would suggest the SLP single pipe as it is the same for both the 6 and 7, best bang for the buck there but the thing is the SLP single for these motors are getting harder to find for a reasonable price, I know Roger has one if you can con it out of him, but with his IQ projects he just might want to let you have it for the right price, I am currently trying to save some $$$ as I am the one who he is saving the SKS for, I plan on getting that to be my trail sled for the few times I will make it up that way in this coming winter, I will most likely just keep it at my brother house in Grayling and when the opportunity presents itself to get up there for trail riding it will be there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll check on that pipe with him, and yes he told me about the SKS your getting from him. I told him that if you didn't want the 1 1/4 I wanted it, you made a good choice and your going to have one awesome sled. I didn't know the radius rods were any different on the Gen2 than on the Wedge (both being CRC). I'll do the front end swap because I already have all of that stuff.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
ssracing said:
I'll check on that pipe with him, and yes he told me about the SKS your getting from him. I told him that if you didn't want the 1 1/4 I wanted it, you made a good choice and your going to have one awesome sled. I didn't know the radius rods were any different on the Gen2 than on the Wedge (both being CRC). I'll do the front end swap because I already have all of that stuff.
Just make sure the GEN II front end parts are off a 2000 and not a 99, in 2000 they widened the front end and they also had slightly taller shocks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I got the 2000 Gen2 radius rods off of my 2000 Triumph today. But now I'm thinking about buying the 2002 XCSP 600. If I go buy the 02 VES 600 with some extra goodies (pipes and more) I can pull the motor sell the chassis and look for a ProX to build up.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
thanks for the kind words fellas,,,,,Steve, you and Alex know you have a place to stay the 21st right.....
I won't know what I'm doing with the SLP single until both IQRs are done. It might end up all cut up and welded back together.
That 98 600 would give my 220 cyl'd 98 700 a run for its money across the fields...ran strong and dependable.

Samuel (SSRACING)

You have had a Pro-x, Going back to the wedge to trail ride would be hard to do. I keep up, for a fat guy, on the wedge, but also feel my oats at the end of the day. I always loved the wedge look as you do. Short of doing complete front and rear suspension upgrades I think it wold be a step backwards for you.

I hated the look of the Edge and Pro-X sleds. They have grown on me. After spending some trail time on the Pro-x All I want to do is drop a 454 chevy in it and RIP. I have a feeling late fall I will be dropping a BB700 or Big bore 800 in the pro-x. My 98 700 is now in retirement soon to stuffed away in a barn with less that 2k miles. By far my favorite looking sled of all time.Yes Steve, my signature of wedge rider is going away.

Proud to be a IQR rider now

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I'm going to look at the 2002 XCSP again tomorrow and maybe see what kind of deal we can iron out. If I do pick it up I'll need to find a another ProX chassis to drop the engine in.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Roger,most likely we will head up Friday night to Alex's place in Grayling and then head over to the SWAP in the morning, I talked to him about it this morning on my way to my job site and unless something bad happens we will be there, just hoping there will be people there spending money in the parts rows and not so much in the beer tent....lol, he did state that his plan was not to bring the BIG Polaris trailer but just bring one of his business 5 yard trash trailers loaded with bins of parts and whatever else we can tie on top and load the back of the Dodge with as much as we can fit in it also, I don't have a whole lot of stuff so that is the easy part, you know what he has and for sure won't be bringing all of it, so just as always we are hoping the buyers come out and open there wallets and not just mull around at everything, I do like your thinking also about trying to make this into a northern Mi HayDays of sort, maybe by next year they can have the races going on for the day or weekend and that would help bring out the masses, no matter what happens I would like to have a get together for Saturday night after the swap, maybe BBQ and Drinks????, and won't the latter part of that be a hoot as you know I've been a non-drinker for more than a few years now, you might want to hide the lamp shades........ttys.....Steve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts