Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any suggestions from SF members on where I should ride in two weeks from now. I am currently scheduled to ride in Laramie Wyoming around the Snowy Range area. However I am not convinced the snow cover is all that great. We are driving out from Minnesota and would like to find something within a 14 to 16 hr drive. BC is out of the question. 25hrs plus drive is to much for a weeks vacation.
Dose anyone have any other suggestion's or snow reports you can share with my.[8D]

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Cooke City isnt bad and neither is West Yellowstone. They get there fair share of snow but in the case of Cooke you need to get off the beaten path to find that white gold. They have plenty on the ground now for sure though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally posted by srut700rmk
[br]I thought I read a thread that west Yellowstone is in need of snow? When where you last out that way?
nope, it's great. Warmer temperatures the past 4 days too. We are having a bit of an inversion, cooler temps in the valley, warmer in the high country.. But West and Island park have lots of snow.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by rymannhere35
[br]
Originally posted by srut700rmk
[br]I thought I read a thread that west Yellowstone is in need of snow? When where you last out that way?
nope, it's great. Warmer temperatures the past 4 days too. We are having a bit of an inversion, cooler temps in the valley, warmer in the high country.. But West and Island park have lots of snow.
Yea, I read that same thread and it does make me wonder about snow depth "perceptions." I've been checking the trail reports out there and a few of the trails in the lower elevations seem to have less snow than when I was out there beginning of Jan. But the trails that run into the mountains still have tons of base and that's where most of the off-trail riding is in the first place. I don't think Black Canyon trail ever runs out of snow. It's on the correct side of the mountains to get dumped on all the time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll be in W. Yellowstone from 2/12-2/17. I'll be able to give you an update on their conditions when I get back. They DO have snow in the forecast for the next several days. This will be my third trip there.. I've never been disappointed !!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I'd ride the West Yellowstone- Island Park area. I was there from early December until Christmas. Tremendous opportunities for all types of riding there. The snow wasn't great, but it was good when I was there. When I left, it dumped for a week or two, so it should be awesome now. There's been a recent snow drought, so I think they're due for a dumping. I'm going out there probably on the 12th, and if I have time to get online I'll give you a report too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Colorado?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool Guy's Lots of great info... keep it coming. I need to make a decision soon if I am going to cancel our accommodations in Laramie. I am heading out on the 22nd and I don't wish to drive all that way for nothing deep.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
possibly if bc is out of the question is the ablerta sied of teh rockies possible? places in the souther alberta rockies have been having some amazing snow conditions lately. im headed out to crowsnest pass this weekend and if the candain rockies are an option i could give ya a bit of info on what the conditions are like

·
Registered
15 Posts
just rode north of steamboat springs colorado snow was awesome i'd suggest driving the extra two hours from laramie you will have lots more fun. we stayed at glen eden resort great place. try steamboat lake outfitters also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd say West or Cooke, i'm in Bozeman, about 80 miles North of West and after a warm 4 days were getting some more snow. I've been riding some "local" spots around here that there is more than enough snow. Talked to some buddies that went to Cooke said it was good last weekend. I'll be trying to get to west soon but that extra 160 miles on the truck really eats up any gas money i have.... damn school... Every time i've been to west this year its been good. You can check out www.mtavalanche.com
They have great snow reports on the ranges around montana and tell you facts with out the "depth" perception issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by MCat1000
[br]just rode north of steamboat springs colorado snow was awesome i'd suggest driving the extra two hours from laramie you will have lots more fun. we stayed at glen eden resort great place. try steamboat lake outfitters also.
M-1000 You Rock. Thanks for the information. I am going to look into this area.
Can we expect to ride rite from our lodge or will we need to trailer our sleds to get to the fun stuff?

·
Registered
15 Posts
if u stay at steamboat lake outfitters u can ride right from the lodge. we stayed at glen eden and left our sleds at steamboat lake outfitters rode out right from there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That steambaot Lake Looks great.. I called and they are booked! I called all the surounding lodges and they are booked!! %^#%t out of luck there.. Where is Glen Edin?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Roxan said Hi back... She Rocks.
She is setting us up in a luxury loft and giving us a 15% discount because of thous guys from Iowa??? Man what did you do? LOL.
No, really she gave us the discount because I happened to mention a add in snow west mag?? (Not really, she happened to mention it for me) Very cool!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Five guys from Minnetonka and surrounding metro.

I can't believe how accommodating everyone is. We called the dealer and he is going to set one of our guys up with a 800 rmk for the week. and his fee is only $150 per day. Everyone else is 200 to 300 per day. I can't wait.

Hey, What is the drive like from Edin to Steamboat lake?

·
Registered
15 Posts
oh and by the way the nightlife in steamboat springs is sweet if ur laramie boy is single this is heavens paradise for snow bunnies. just dont tell em u snowmobile haha inside joke

1 - 20 of 26 Posts