Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i got a 96 xlt sp, and i want to get a pipe for it and clutch kit, anyone have any recommendations on a pipe, i was thinking dyno port since they were the only company i could find a match for my sled at, and also can you get a pipe and clutch kit without having to rejet your sled? thanks - brad

·
Registered
23 Posts
DynoPort is an excellent choice to get your pipes from. I've met the owner(Rich Dailey) and he is a really nice guy who really knows his s#%$ when it comes to pipes and sled mods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok then ill go dyno port, but if i get the pipe does it require rejetting? because i dont know how to do it, and living up in the U.P. of michigan during winter means that if i bring it to the sled shop i wont see it until next summer ha.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If your talking about triple pipes, great! If your talking about just changing your muffler, dont waste your time or money. Dynoport pipes are awesome, but do you really want to spend $500-$600 on new pipes. If you do thats fine, but I would look for a set of used pipes. I had a set of SLP pipes on my 93 XLT special that were awesome, they had the 3 seperate mufflers not the one big can. You are going to find more used SLP and PSI pipes out there than any others. When your talking XLT motor, the major manufacturers are all going to be around the same horsepower. Yes, you will have to rejet. You will also have to change the primary spring and weights. Changing the helix and secondary spring should be done also, but you can get away with the stock unit if money is a concern. Good luck.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
506 Posts
a pipe will always require rejetting, by pipeing it, your improveing the engines ability to suck the burned mixture out of the cylinder, and therefor, use the vacuum force to pull the new, unburned air into the cylinder. by increaseing it's ability to move air/fuel mixture thru the cylinder, you're improveing your horsepower. however, this means that the engine will be sucking more air through the carburator, which means that if you keep your jetting the same, it will run lean, and most likely burn down. you need to increase the jet sizes so that you can get the mixture in the cylinder to maintain a safe ratio (15:1 oxygen:gasoline is generally what we shoot for). without jetting, you will have more oxygen than the ideal ratio, and that will 'cause the flame front in your cylinder to burn hotter. same as when you blow on a burning cigarette, or a wind blows across a bonfire (I don't smoke, but it was the best analogy I could think of).

in any case, as far as jetting difficulty, it's not very hard at all. as a racer, I've learned to do it in a matter of minutes, it's not hard at all. and after the cost of the pipes, the cost of the required jets is minimal.

I'm sure that we can walk you thru the jetting on here. it's not at all a process that you should be avoiding getting a pipe over.

if you have any other questions, you're welcome to PM, or Email me, I'm generally on ICQ and MSN in the afternoon aswell.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok then im going to need the pipes (yes they are triple pipes, come with silencer) and the clutch kit, and im going to need a rejet. I have general engine knowledge so i think i will be able to rejet it with a little walkthrough, if its as easy as you say. Am i going to need to bring it in to get the clutch springs and weights installed? Because i dont think i would be able to figure that out. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If you don't have the clutch tools, they yes, you'll probably have to bring the clutches in some where to have the new clutch kit installed. That shouldn't cost much at all though....maybe an hours shop rate at the most.

If you do go with the triple pipes and clutch kit, you're going to notice an AMAZING increase in power with that XLT! Again, like everyone else here has said, be sure to rejet....we can all walk you through it.

PS: The cigarette analogy was great junior......good one!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
277 Posts
Brad, I was just on 'High Performance Engineering's web site and they have a special on SLP pipes. Go to HPE's website, shop online and then to closeouts. They have brand new pipes for your sled for $350.00. Makes 112 hp for your ride! There you go bud!!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey CT55, check out royaldistributing.com,
They're a canadian wholesaler much like Dennis Kirk is in the US, check out their close out deals, they have PSI Modblaster pipes and Trailblaster pipes for your sled for about $350-$400 canadian. These can save you big bucks, once you convert your money over i would be like $250 for an awesome pipe. The modblaster is very loud and falls into three seperate cans (which resemble a dirt bike exhaust) and the trailblaster pipe exits into one larger canister which is a little quieter.

I got the modblaster pipe, followed PSI's clutching recommendations, re-jetted and raised the air breather cover. PSI claims these mods bringthe HP to 121, I've never dynoed it, but my machine rolls to 108mph, which for no engine mods is great for a 600 triple of those years. But it's extremely loud, no one else around can hear their sled when I'm on the throttle! Which can attrack some unwanted attention sometimes.

If your vision isn't blured, you're going too slow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts