Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just installed the xtra-10 on a '94 Indy Trail and used JB's measurements. On the link on top the front mount says 4 1/4 inches and JB says 133mm = 5 1/4 in. from the top. Is there a differance in the '94 tunnel? Just want to get it right before the snow. P.S great info on your site JB and I will be calling you to get some shocks rebuilt.

·
Registered
506 Posts
as it says on my site the measurements are from a 97 Ultra SPX what you are installing it in makes little difference it is more of what the skid came out of. Some newer extra 10 skids had more travel in the front arm which would call for raising the front arm but people have argued that point with me for years so I stopped fighting it. What you would get is not enought ski presure and it would be easily resolved by tightening the limiter strap but at the expense of an inch of front arm travel.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would have to agree with you I have 2 xtra 10s in my shop now and the one out of my 98 xc the front arm is an inch taller when measured off of the ground the then older one thats in my storm...

Originally posted by jbshocks
[br]as it says on my site the measurements are from a 97 Ultra SPX what you are installing it in makes little difference it is more of what the skid came out of. Some newer extra 10 skids had more travel in the front arm which would call for raising the front arm but people have argued that point with me for years so I stopped fighting it. What you would get is not enought ski presure and it would be easily resolved by tightening the limiter strap but at the expense of an inch of front arm travel.

·
Registered
506 Posts
it should, especially if you need room for studs or a deep track. Other wise you usually mount as high in the tunnel as possible to lower the CG.

·
Registered
82 Posts

okay so looking at the standard length skid, my 95 indy 500 was set up at positions B for rear & A for front, when i went to the place where i got my skid from i took a bunch of measuments & none were the same but they werent off by much. i wanna keep the B position for the rear because it will give me more clearance. my question is since the average move for the extra 10 was about an inch 1/2 could i move the plate one Rivot hole forward & just drill one more hole ?

As for the front & from the first diagram i posted i have those brackets mounted in my tunnel with the holes cut out of the bracket but not cut in the tunnel itself, could i drill my holes in 1 of the 2 positions lower (shown in the diagram) ?

my skid came out of a 96 XCR 440 (by the way)

this is a picture i took of an indy 500 with the extra 10 swapped in it. it looks like he did everything i mentioned but didnt use the B position on the rear. but his skid is completely diff from mine !!

·
Registered
82 Posts
okay since i didnt recieve much help i decided to tackle it on my own, & i have issues. when i first mounted it it didnt wanna fully compress/ the suspenssion was really stiff/ & track was "loose". After putting the front mounts back into the stock location my holes are almost exact to the measurments i have on paper, & my center to center distance is about 22 3/4 (from the write up it should be between 22-23 so im good there) However the track is really tight (with tension all the way loose) the suspenssion will compresses no problem when i jump on it but its not very stiff at all ! i adjusted the springs to the stiffest point & it feels the same... Any help would be appreciated !

·
Registered
31 Posts
You say your skid looks different than the pic? The one you posted is an xtra10, post a pic of your skid. If you have an edge or xtra12 or M-10 skid the mounting points are different. I did the the swap moving the rear mount 1 bolt forward (like your second pic) and it worked great.

·
Registered
82 Posts

ive come to the assumption that maby the adjustable shock isnt at its stiffest point & since i dont have the remote wire i cant adjust this at the moment, But how would that explain my track issues, my bolts are flush so the idlers cant go any further forward. also when i ran the sled it makes alot of clicking noises from the slides ( i assume the track is slapping the slides because of how tight it is... ohh an yes its an extra ten, i meant different because it doesnt have the adjustable shock nor fox shocks. the skid came out of a 96 XCR 440 & i moved the back plate more than & inch Thanks for your reply !

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ended up with the rear mount in the A position and the front in the highest position. I had the clicking noise and the windows on the track were hitting the plastic on the front of the rails. Moving to the top fixed it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
[attachment=53369]

In my opinion, this is the best mod ever to the wedge/evolved chassis. I got the skid out of a XCR 800. After I put in the XTRA-10, the thing likes the big air landings better than most SCORE cars do...It was well worth the 4 hours of effort. Only problem is is that I cannot find any wheels to match the rest of the sled.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if u want an upgrade dont waste your time on the extra 10, u might as well go all the way to the edge suspension. i dont have the specs but i know they fit and much much better ride

·
Registered
815 Posts
i have a 91 indy 400 what type of suspension is in it and what do you recamend me to put in it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Just a bit of info for anyone doing this swap. If you have a sled with the Dial Adjust rear skid, you will need to move your front mount hole forward. I just did a swap on a 90 650 and it had the dial adjust and I couldnt get the skid in until the front was moved.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i put in the extra 10 last weak it looking really good, put 4 more inches of travel and now i have fox shocks, also if you did the edge swap it would raise the back up too high putting more pressure on the skis and i dont think you can put a edge front suspension in a wedge to fix the problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think the xtra-10 is better, also you can't swap in a extra-12, there are many posts about extra 10-12

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Originally posted by xcr_racing
[br]I would have to agree with you I have 2 xtra 10s in my shop now and the one out of my 98 xc the front arm is an inch taller when measured off of the ground the then older one thats in my storm...

Originally posted by jbshocks
[br]as it says on my site the measurements are from a 97 Ultra SPX what you are installing it in makes little difference it is more of what the skid came out of. Some newer extra 10 skids had more travel in the front arm which would call for raising the front arm but people have argued that point with me for years so I stopped fighting it. What you would get is not enought ski presure and it would be easily resolved by tightening the limiter strap but at the expense of an inch of front arm travel.
just somthing id like to add.

if you can, dont get any old xtra-10. get one out of a XC. they come with several more options, like where the scissers are bolted in and what not.. makes it more tunable to your riding style. which the other style x-10's didnt have. unless of course all you do is powder ride, then get a RMK suspension so its not coupled.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts