Snowmobile Fanatics banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm picking up an XTRA-10 this weekend so definitely appreciate this thread. It's going in a 90 Indy 500. I'll get some b&a pics as I work throught it.
Thanks for all the info. Randy

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well I didn't get it last week end so we're doing it this weekend.
I'm looking forward to doing this swap.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Picked up the skid a couple of weeks ago but haven't made room in the garage yet to work on it. I'm thinking of having the shocks rebuilt and just generally going through everything. Spring has sprung.[:D]

·
Registered
652 Posts
the_hog said:
Just a bit of info for anyone doing this swap. If you have a sled with the Dial Adjust rear skid, you will need to move your front mount hole forward. I just did a swap on a 90 650 and it had the dial adjust and I couldnt get the skid in until the front was moved.
I attached a pic of the front plate once I marked the spot for the new hole. My question is do I need to relocate the plates or will it be okay seeing as the new hole is still on the backup plate.

200792114639609_18876.jpg
I added the rear plate pics because it shows how close the thread measurements worked out.
20079211464062_18876.jpg 200792114647421_18876.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fdrager said:
Do you have to change the front suspention to an xtra 10 when you change the rear or can it stay?
You can leave the front in, but tthen you might have to adjust your suspension for your type of steering.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put a x10 in my 93 storm and mesured my 97 700 and mounted the rear suspention and it bindes up. I found out the x10 is a 96 and is a 133.5 and not a 136. the mounting is not the same mesurement. dose any body have a 96 x10 they can mesure the front arm to rear arm mounting distance and let me know. [sick]

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i have a 1994 indy 500 evolved body and i just purchased an x-10 that was out of a 97 ultra aggressive sled does anyone have a template that would work for my sled and also does anyone know if my track out of my reg suspension would work if not what size track i need please let me know im not to sure

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought an xtra 10 skid today out of a 99 xlt special looking at putting it in my 94 indy supersport any help?? can some one give me the proper diagram for where the mounting holes should go on my sled with thye x 10 skid thanks jake

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try www.jbshocks.com. It would be a start. Do a couple of searches, there are many projects. I converted a 1988 Indy 650 to an Xtra-10. It is well worth the effort. The front torque arm to rear torque arm measurement is THE most important. The height of the torque arms in the tunnel vary some through the years the Xtra-10 was made. Another observation I made is that if you mount the front torque arm too high the track will ride on the metal guides on top of the front torque arm all the time. I don't think this is desirable. If the front torque arm is too low then you will have limiter strap/ski pressure issues. My track is about 1/4 in. above those front torque arm guides or so when i am at rest. I widened my stock front end as wide as it would allow me (not much), though it is not necessary. I also bought a little taller regular old hydraulic shocks and springs with adjusters so the ride height would be correct, this is necessary. Measure two or three times, drill once. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1990 Indy 650 SKS that I want to modify with the xtra 10. It's a long track 15" x 134" I am pretty sure I won't be able to find a suspension for a long track but I am pretty sure they sell extensions. I just have no idea from what sled I should be looking to get the xtra 10 from. Any help ideas suggestions etc... is appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kiddbats said:
I have a 1990 Indy 650 SKS that I want to modify with the xtra 10. It's a long track 15" x 134" I am pretty sure I won't be able to find a suspension for a long track but I am pretty sure they sell extensions. I just have no idea from what sled I should be looking to get the xtra 10 from. Any help ideas suggestions etc... is appreciated.
I just put a 136 xtra 10 in my 91 indy 500. Look on snowest for a skid i got mine for 125. also put a 1 3/4 track on....wow what a difference in the powder. Well worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put an Xtra-10 in to an 89 indy 400 liquid this last fall. I tried everyone elses measurements, and ended up with something all together different for myself. Use JB's as a reference, then take all factors into consideration. His is a good template, however for what I was looking for I used my own. Only reason I say this is cause when I used measurements from templates that I found on line my track was too tight even with the tensioners all the way loose. Keep in mind my rear skid was from a 2002 XCR 800 from the agressive chasis. perhaps my 89 chasis is different, or maybe the rear skid is not the same as a regular Xtra 10. Anyway just thought I would share. Any knowledge or input is appreciated. Also if you want any more pix of the finished product, or my measurments let me know. 20083604424328_20020.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Skipponator said:
Great sticky, think you can roust up a link for swapping in an Edge in an Wedge?
Skipponator, just finished installing an 03 edge suspension into a 98 XC700 with xtra-10. Actually very easy. Welded an extension bracket to the existing tunnel supports, about 2" of 16 gu sheet metal on the front side of all 4 brackets. The front torgue and rear torque arms can be mounted the same distance from the top of the tunnel to the center point of each arm which is 5 1/8" . This maintains the same approach angle as the suspensions are essentially the same height. I also installed a 1.25" ripsaw and there was plenty of room. The front arm is moved exactly 2 3/4" inches forward and the rear is moved 1.5" forward from the existing mounting holes. There is a bit of grinding to do on the existing support brackets. There is an elevated rib that needs to be removed so the rear hinge on the torque arm moves freely and just enough for the front arm to sit flush against the tunnel bracket also. I then secured the 4 welded brackets to the tunnel with some stainless steel 1/4-20 1/2" bolts with nyloc nuts (2 per bracket). The difference is amazing. Not an M-10 obviously, but much better than an extra-10. I opted NOT to move the existing support brackets forward because it leaves the tunnel looking unfinished and full of holes. Plus grinding the rib off (just a small amount) I figured adding some support to the front of the brackets would be beneficial. Nothing catches the track and I retained full adjustment of the rear axle with this mounting position. Good luck.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts