Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to upgrade and i decided that i am not wanting to get a fusion after i did some research on it. so instead i have been looking at 2000 and newer xc's and edge's and i am wondering what is beter?
i was wondering what i should look for when im getting ready to buy one such as power, performance, durability, recal/ what should be upgraded, what not to buy, what price range these should be in, basicly the pro's and cons. i really like how those edge X's look but really never drove one so i want some advice before i narow it down. all advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated, thanks again

·
Registered
443 Posts
2002 edge x 700 blue and yellow the best looking polaris sled ever made in my opinion. I heard that those sleds go fast and have alot of power. That would be a great upgrade from a 94 xlt. I want to get one this fall if the price is right. For the xc i would get the black, white, red. i don't know much about the xc we used to have a 01 xcsp 440 and it was pretty good sled.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
indyrider15 said:
2002 edge x 700 blue and yellow the best looking polaris sled ever made in my opinion. I heard that those sleds go fast and have alot of power.
i can attest to that, i love my 02 edge tons of power, and i ran her out to 120 on the speedo(dremometere) soo actual of 105??? the 700's that year had 6 lesss hp then the 800's i had no problems putting almost 2000 miles on it this past year whatsoever, and it got alot of looks on the trail, how tall are you?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i heard good things about the 02 edge x 700. that was what i was leaning twords. im about 5'10"ish and 200lbs. im looking for something that is aggressive and i like these sleds. i see a lot of the blue and yellow edge x's around here.

how much is a good going price for one of these? i went to a dealer and they had one for i thing $1800 but it was bone stock 02 700 edge x

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
MicahMan said:
i heard good things about the 02 edge x 700. that was what i was leaning twords. im about 5'10"ish and 200lbs. im looking for something that is aggressive and i like these sleds. i see a lot of the blue and yellow edge x's around here.

how much is a good going price for one of these? i went to a dealer and they had one for i thing $1800 but it was bone stock 02 700 edge x
how many miles? and then you should be O.K i am about 6,3 so i needed more height so i went to a shorty seat.

·
Registered
443 Posts
MicahMan said:
i see a lot of the blue and yellow edge x's around here.
Same here i see alot around here to if you get one put a sliver windshield on it and then you will get alot of looks.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
My '02 Edge X 700 is for sale at $2600 firm, only 1117 miles. I REALLY don't want to sell it, but it's more financially responsible to keep riding my $500 '99 XC 500. Just riding it from the back yard to the garage is pure joy because of all the torque.
The '99-00 XC's in the Gen II chassis are great sleds, but they just don't compare to the comfort and handling that the Edge's provide.

That bone stock edge X 700 for $1800? I'd take it. Bone stock, these sleds are hands down in the top 3 best looking stock sleds IMO. how many miles is on that one at the dealer? Is it in really nice shape, or is the hood cracked/seat torn? If the hood is busted, that's a big turn off. I would want an Edge X to have all original graphics, so finding a nice used hood with the correct graphics would be really tough.

I also like buying bone stock sleds anyways (cosmetics upgrades are fine- colored skis, cobra windshields etc. and paddle tracks are great). I don't want to buy a sled thats been effed with too much, especially with the engine internals. Too many people out there that have no idea what theyre doing. I'd rather do upgrades myself.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ya today more of the edge's have almost all the stickers pealed off the hood or some poeple just take off the stickers and put flames or something esle on[Disappointed], So if that edge is in good shape i would get it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If you are getting a 600, you would be silly get any edge over the Fusion. The fusion is a much nicer riding sled than any edge. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
bj.hardy said:
MicahMan said:

how many miles? and then you should be O.K i am about 6,3 so i needed more height so i went to a shorty seat.
im waiting for another seat to come in for myself since i got that xc [thumb]

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
yea ive ridden my brothers 800 edge and i like my fusion a ton more. you sit more forward and i fell its a lot lighter

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm just curious, but what didn't you like about the fusions?

In my group there are 3 edge x 800's (2 of them are '02's, and 1 is an '03). All have been ridden hard and only one problem. On one of the '02's the water pump let go.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
for me i heard there are lot of problems with the crank bearings, and the front ends, also the funds to buy one rite now. i have a bunch of stuff i am selling and saving up for a sled. $1800 is more in my price range instaed of $3500 for a used fusion. i never drove a fusion or an edge but when snow flies i will drive both and maybe i will have the funds up by then. id really like to get as much knowledge out of you guys who have had the edge's to see their pro's and cons before i peel out the money.

in comparison how does the 2002 700 edge X size up to the 2006 600 fusion?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I am a big fan of edge chassis sleds. No, they are not as ergonomic as the fusion, but if you upgrade the seat and bars its a pretty comfy sled, and probably a lot cheaper. The "edge x" and XC sleds are essentially the same. They are all built on the "edge" chassis. I think the only differences were that the edge x had running board supports (the XC got these in 04 along with wider running boards), different graphics, and a clicker rear shock. Just make sure if you get an XC that it has the edge skid, its a more aggressive setup. If you get an XC with the edge skid, you could upgrade the rear shock to the clicker style, which handles studder bumps and big hits quite alot better than the PS3 rear shock. Also, IMO if getting the XC, I would really recommend getting 04 and up because this is when they switched to the wider running boards, which makes a HUGE difference in comfort. Not sure when the "edge X" models switched to wider running boards, but it may have been before the XC line did. Maybe all of the Edge X sleds had the wide running boards, but I'm not sure. I don't know that much about the 700/800 besides the probably overstated 800 crank troubles. I do know the 500/600s are pretty much bulletproof.

Also, if you get a 2000 XC, that is not an edge chassis sled, its a Gen II

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
motodeficient said:
I am a big fan of edge chassis sleds. No, they are not as ergonomic as the fusion, but if you upgrade the seat and bars its a pretty comfy sled, and probably a lot cheaper. The "edge x" and XC sleds are essentially the same. They are all built on the "edge" chassis. I think the only differences were that the edge x had running board supports (the XC got these in 04 along with wider running boards), different graphics, and a clicker rear shock. Just make sure if you get an XC that it has the edge skid, its a more aggressive setup. If you get an XC with the edge skid, you could upgrade the rear shock to the clicker style, which handles studder bumps and big hits quite alot better than the PS3 rear shock. Also, IMO if getting the XC, I would really recommend getting 04 and up because this is when they switched to the wider running boards, which makes a HUGE difference in comfort. Not sure when the "edge X" models switched to wider running boards, but it may have been before the XC line did. Maybe all of the Edge X sleds had the wide running boards, but I'm not sure. I don't know that much about the 700/800 besides the probably overstated 800 crank troubles. I do know the 500/600s are pretty much bulletproof. Also, if you get a 2000 XC, that is not an edge chassis sled, its a Gen II
that was a great detail thanks. id prefer the wider running boards, does anyone know if they all came with the wide ones or did the wide running boards come on the edge in a specific year? i know that the fusion had crank bearin problems in the 8&900's from what i was told but how about the 700 or 800 edge motors since i have heard the 500 & 600 motors are bulletproof?

thanks

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The XC didn't get wide running boards till 04, I believe all EDGE X sleds had the wider boards all along since they had the running board supports, but I am not positive

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
MicahMan said:
motodeficient said:
I am a big fan of edge chassis sleds. No, they are not as ergonomic as the fusion, but if you upgrade the seat and bars its a pretty comfy sled, and probably a lot cheaper. The "edge x" and XC sleds are essentially the same. They are all built on the "edge" chassis. I think the only differences were that the edge x had running board supports (the XC got these in 04 along with wider running boards), different graphics, and a clicker rear shock. Just make sure if you get an XC that it has the edge skid, its a more aggressive setup. If you get an XC with the edge skid, you could upgrade the rear shock to the clicker style, which handles studder bumps and big hits quite alot better than the PS3 rear shock. Also, IMO if getting the XC, I would really recommend getting 04 and up because this is when they switched to the wider running boards, which makes a HUGE difference in comfort. Not sure when the "edge X" models switched to wider running boards, but it may have been before the XC line did. Maybe all of the Edge X sleds had the wide running boards, but I'm not sure. I don't know that much about the 700/800 besides the probably overstated 800 crank troubles. I do know the 500/600s are pretty much bulletproof. Also, if you get a 2000 XC, that is not an edge chassis sled, its a Gen II
that was a great detail thanks. id prefer the wider running boards, does anyone know if they all came with the wide ones or did the wide running boards come on the edge in a specific year? i know that the fusion had crank bearin problems in the 8&900's from what i was told but how about the 700 or 800 edge motors since i have heard the 500 & 600 motors are bulletproof?

thanks
Fusion didn't have an 800. only the 600 carb, 700 CFI (755cc), and 900 (866cc i think).
Personally, I have taken craps that are more impressive looking than the Fusion, but that's presonal taste. If i remember right Micah, I think you said you really like the looks of the Fusion.
On the 700 & 800 carbed Edge motors, PTO crank bearings were an alleged problem, issues are solved by doing a big bearing kit. Also, both the 7 and 8 are BB motors, with the belt driven water pump, I've heard of people having issues with that belt (gets worn, just like the drive belt) but replacing that with a new one solves that problem.

The Edge X got the wide running boards in '03. My dad's 2003 edge X 600 has them (he absolutely loves them compared to his old 2001 xcsp 600 with tapered boards) but the 2002 edge X 700 I have right now doesn't have the wide running boards. But yes, as motodeficient said, 2004+ XCSP's had the wide boards. 2004 and 2005 knocked it out of the park with the graphics package for just the regular XCSP's too, love the looks. (actually, all 2004-2005 Poo's had excellent graphics)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
2004 and 2005 knocked it out of the park with the graphics package for just the regular XCSP's too, love the looks. (actually, all 2004-2005 Poo's had excellent graphics)

AGREED. The graphics are about the only thing I left stock on my sled.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
On a side note, how do you like the taller seat? Do you feel more in control of the sled?
I'm making a new seat setup from scratch, and it will end up raising the height of my seat about 3-5 inches I'm thinking, but I only have a two inch bar riser so I'm worried the seat might be too tall

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow that is some good knowledge. does anyone have a picture of the regular taper and a picture of the wider running boards? i did some looking but the photo's are poor quality.

so the 700 and 800 carbd motors are BB. did they make an efi edge motor? id prefer the carbed motor myself.

so if i go look for one id probably want a 04 700 edge X and id replace the waterpump belt and look to do a big bearing kit. what does a big bearing kit cost w/ labor?

the one that the dealer has was just a stock edge X 700 with a studded track and they guy said the whole upper end was rebuilt. id have to get more info on it. but for $1800 i was really intrested in it. it has the blue and white graphic package on it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts