Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i came across this website saturday morning, i was looking for a cure for my sled, a 96 xlt, it has a bad bogg off the get-go but seems to run fine at high rpm's. after a rebuild yestereday (i blew a head-gasket and found a missing ring on the mag side piston, a little scorched) she starts right up, still won't idle under 4000 on her own, it seems that the pilot jet is not getting fuel enough, i do have pipes and the air box has been gutted, i only purchased this money pit on superbowl sunday. the problem has seemed to grow progressivly worse. i am going to try to rejet the pilots today, move them up to a .o40 instead of the stock .035, double check the float heights. just seems odd to me that this condition would suddenly appear as it has on many readers sleds.
does anyone think that possibly the mikuni carbs are deteriortating on the insides from something (an additive) in the fuel, or normal age? acid rain? mine are no longer shiney and new looking, i have torn them down and cleaned them at least five times (just to be sure i haven't missed something). has anyone ever contacted mikuni to see what they have to say about it all? thanks , dave :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just one other thing, these polaris parts are expensive!!! lol
i could have ordered them online for half of what i paid from a dealer, i'm just not that patient of a person, i want it done yesterday! lol a great place to purchase stuff is either Dennis Kirk or mfgsupply.com
just thought i would throw that out there for all us backyard mechanics.
p.s. i used to drive yamaha's (could rbuild one with my eyes closed) this xlt monoblock is a pain to put back together, you have to be a contortionist!!
happy riding, dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
dave check your mag end crank seal (you can pull the old one out with a wood or sheet metal screw!) most of the the guys on the forum twisted the pin on the pto side of their cramks and it dont sound like you have done that to yours yet!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
needle and seats are fine, can you change the seal without disassembaling the entire motor? pull the flywheel for example and do it right there? it still has a slight bogg but nothing like it did, ran her hard yesterday in 40 degree weather, no problems! thanks , dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah! she still has a wierd idle, sometimes it will idle down to around 2000 and then the next thing ya know, she won't go below 4000! could the seal cause this?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
No, in order to change the crank seals (if they're bad), you have to pull the entire engine, because you need to split the crank case to change them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to all , i guess i'll live with things the way they are now, it seems to be ok for the most part, was able to rejet the piots and take 99% of the bogg out, the idle is irratic but i guess not uncommon on that sled.

can you say "SNOW-CHECK"?????? LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts