Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright my 95 xcr 600 only has 107 psi of compression on all three this seems really low to me how do i fix this

·
Registered
187 Posts
as long as they are all within 10% of each other, you should be ok. getting below 100# is pushing it, but it would still run. try a different gage too, they can be way off sometimes. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Reringing will improve it quite well. Not to expensive either.

Not sure how I feel about just reringing, but alot of people seem to do it without problems.

·
Registered
482 Posts
did you test it when the motor was hot? you should in order to test it properly.

If you get it hot and it still reads 107, squirt 3 drips of 10W30 into the cylinder, give it about a half pull on the rope, then test again, if you have an improvement on the psi you need new rings at the least.

could be a crappy gauge too, test another sled with it and see what happens

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
thehawk789 summed it up perfectly. Couldn't have said it better my self.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im poutting rings in it got teh sled engine tore down then my truck motor blew up ....so anyways im back onto teh sled now i got a set of rings for it with new wrist pins and bearings so well give that a try. thanks guys

·
Registered
193 Posts
107 is not horrible...its a bit on the low side but i have ran XCR's with 95 psi X 3....and it actually ran well for an entire season...I'd say if you drop below 100 its time to think about new rings...

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
i am not sure on how u fix it but i know or at least i think anyways that u should have 120 across the board

·
Registered
193 Posts
A brand new engine (or a rebuilt one) should have 120-130 psi ideally, the more miles you put on an engine the more the piston rings wear down, meaning you will get a lower compression reading. Your engine is not in new condition, but aside from a slight loss of power (compared to a new engine) it will still run just fine....usually once you get down below 100 psi its time to think about rebuilding the engine (usually just a set of rings is all you need...) One way or another I wouldn't worry about it this season...you will get this season out of it and probably next season too if your not racing the sled. Use good oil and ride your sled!

·
Registered
193 Posts
LOL...i just read the post that says u already have the motor torn down....My only advice is to get a manual and follow it if your not 100% sure of what your doing...don't use synthetic oil for the first tank of gas after you rebuild it....

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by CamInuvik
[br]when you re-ring do you need to hone to break the glaze and have a cross hatch pattern?
Yes! The cross hatch is important because it wears the rings to the shape of the cylinder and gets the seal better.

Stock compression should be 135 psi.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]
Originally posted by CamInuvik
[br]when you re-ring do you need to hone to break the glaze and have a cross hatch pattern?
Yes! The cross hatch is important because it wears the rings to the shape of the cylinder and gets the seal better.

Stock compression should be 135 psi.
120 is alright though right? thats what i have across the board.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i ran a hone through teh cylinders then a trick i leanered is to rub them after with scotch bright in a vertical and it takes teh micro burrs created by teh hone off then you give them a rub with paper towels and wd 40 until ther come out white to know there 100% free of dirt and stuff form honing

·
Registered
700 Posts
120s fine. mine has 155 but thats different. When using a gauge with the hose on it and a checkvalve. make sure you pull it 3-4 times or it wont read right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts