Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Polaris Widetrack LX
500 cc twin, liquid cooled.

Was riding it in deep snow, ran fine, stopped. Started back up then tried to go and just bogged, wouldnt get up to 4500 rpms. Thought it was a fouled plug. Put in new plug, same thing. Plenty of spark, and it seems that there is plenty of fuel.

Put in nuetral, rev up to speed, passes 4500 rpms then BAM all the power comes back. I pull the plug on the right cylinder, starts fine. Pull the plug on the left cylinder, no fire.
Thought I had a leaky head gasket (water in cylinder?), replaced it, still no fire in right cylinder below 4500 rpms. Wierd, I pull the plug on right cylinder and its wet, but put to head and start, there is all kinds of spark. What the heck? Is there still water in the cylinder? Cracked cylinder wall? But then why would it fire back up over 4500 rpms? I have wasted so much time trying to figure this one out......totally frustrated and discouraged. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by ken420
[br]is your belt good?
My belt? Not a belt or clutch issue. THis is an engine problem. A major problem with just getting to 4500 rpms where the belt is just starting to engage. Either Carb, or electrical, or water in the cylinder. Im just hoping someone out there has had a similar experience with Polaris.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
don't mean to state the obvious but, have you tried new plug wires and boots? Maybe needs higher RPM to "push" the power through. Are you still finding water on the plug? If so that would do it also. Presumably a cracked cylinder, cracked head, or another bad head seal. Is the coolant level dropping? Also, try draining the carbs to see if there is water in them. That may cause it to not run on that bank until you get to enough RPM (suction) in it for the fuel to bypass the water (i.e the fuel comes from the hi-speed jets). Is there dirt in the tank? That could clog a jet no problem. Just a few thoughts...hope they help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the ideas. I may try and pull the low speed jet to make sure its not clogged. I already emptied the carb, so water in the fuel is not the problem. One thing I did see when I pulled the head was the cylinder that is running fine has carbon deposits, but the cylinder that is not firing at low rpm has no deposits at all and the piston is a little rough around the edges. I checked the compression, it is at 120 psi. I think it was definitly running lean, when it ran.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts