Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, ive got a LRM pipe kit on my ultra, and with the new 82 DB sound limit, my dad is worried my sled is to loud. Well, everyone else i talk to accept my uncle think the sled is still plenty legal, but regardless, my dad wants to bring it back to stock. I was just wondering if anyone has run into problems with the FUZZ yet, and if anyone has heard or has these pipes would give me there oppinion of wether this sled is to loud or not.

How hard do you think it would be to get ahold of a DB meter.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
i see your 17, if your still in school ask a few tec or computer teachers if they have one in the school.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok another question, how much do you guys think it would cost to have my silencer packed

·
Registered
510 Posts
tell your dad to change his depends. lol just kidding but i wouldnt worry about the fuzz. dont go sucking the life outta your ride just becuase of some stupid noise regs. i could see if you had open stingers or somethin or if you were like some other tool that had posted recently about wanting to make his sled as loud as possible for no reason except to be loud.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm kinda worried about the same thing. I put PSI pipes on my 650 this fall and have been nervous about the po-po's busting me too. I atleast repacked my silencers so its as quiet as its gonna get.

I've also heard about the DNR stopping trails up north and inspecting every passer-by? Any validity to this?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, ive our group got stopped last year by the fuz, but we lucky enough, we ended up stopping to take a break at the spot he was gigging people on, so my sled was not running at the time, and when we made sure not to fire it up till he was long gone. On the other hand, 2 people in our group had purchased brand new sleds and still had the paper from the dealer that lets you get by the first year without registering them, how ever since they had registered them but didnt put the stickers on, the dnr dude gave them both 200+ dollar fines anyway.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
my brother has those on his xlt and i hv psi's and he thinks that mine is louder and i do too

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey, would packing my silencer affect the performance of my sled at all

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

it might get to much back pressure with packing your silencers

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Packing your silencers will be fine it will not affect the performance.

Also, if your friends had been able to prove that they were registered they would have been fine. I have been in a similar situation.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Um, how would i go about packing it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sno-X-treme is right. If your packing is burned out you WILL lose performance. They can also be oil soaked to the point where they aren't doing much silencing. In any case just take them off and usually they have screws or rivets holding in the pack or internal screen. just remove and repack with new fiberglass. You can pick it up at any dirt bike dealer.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
In Wisconsin I would be very careful. They do give tickets and you have to pay them on the spot. I know a couple of people who have gotten tickets. If you do run the pipes I would be careful in town and not make any more noise then you have to. I won't ride in Wisconsin because my single pipe is pretty loud. Riley

·
Registered
821 Posts
All it takes for a sled to go over the 82 decibels is a light weight silencer. Thus, LRM triple pipes will be WAY over the decibel limit. Personally, I would keep the pipes and just watch out for riding in inner cities. If you are in sled country (areas where snowmobiling is a huge industry) I wouldn't worry about it. If they try to tackle all the sleds that are over the decibel limit, they will have a huge job to undertake.

for examples in decibel levels, go to...
http://www.coolmath.com/decibels1.htm

·
Registered
112 Posts
around here i always get noise complaints amd my freinds always get stopped by the 5-0 for just riding the sleds and quads and bikes
so just try to use the sled were no one will hear you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the line furf, that was extremely helpful, and after looking at the chart, i actually think my friends F5's are probable damn close to the limit than, they're almost as loud as my ultra

1 - 20 of 27 Posts