Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading somewhere the Skidoo triples had a lubrication issue...but there was a fix available. Anyone know anything about this???

I have an opportunity to buy a 1996 FIII 600LT really cheap...but needs engine work.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have heard of people enlarging main bearing oil ports, I havent heard of people doin it specifically on rotax triples but the concept is the same, but dont take my word on it, ask an engine builder if it would be a good idea and how the RIGHT way to do it would be. Ive also heard of people taking the thrust washers out on the big end of the rod, then machining there own spacers to center the rod on the wristpin instead of the journal, the idea there is to expose the big end rod bearing to oil more then it would have been with the thrust washers in.
Again, ask someone that builds race motors.

Also idk how much this would really help but running amsoil or another really clean burning oil you can safely increase how much the cable pulls the oil pump linkage and just plain and simple pump more oil through the motor, or maybe you could do some "porting" or something along those lines to the inside of the oil pump itself, im sure an oil punp would have major casting flaws in it because it wouldnt affect performance. (much room for improvement)

I'm no engine builder so don't quote me or anything, but maybe that gave you some ideas. Good luck, Id buy the triple if i were you, ive seen many good running F III's that have been runnin for a long time without problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ski-doo recommends setting the oil injection pump arm alignment mark at 1mm past the original mark (richer pump setting) when the freeplay is taken out of the cable. Also check to make sure the waterpump oil cavity is full of oil for the waterpump bearings the oil seals leak when they wear then the bearings run dry and go out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its not an oiling issue,2 grand later and its very common its the plastic cages on the bearings that melt on the crank.The new bearings replaced in my 600 triple ensure better oiling and no plastic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts