Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buddy Kyle are building a SKS/RR. The base of this madness is a 1994 Indy 500, everything but motor and pipes. We have 3 motors to chose from. 1) Indy 500 '93. 2)Indy 500.40 '90. 3)Indy 600 XLT 95'. A 121" suspension and some rail extension. We have 3 tracks too. 1)There is the stock track worn to about 121x0.5inch(hah yea freakin RIGHT!!). 2) a 121x0.85inch Camoplast Ripsaw. 3)A Camoplast 136x3.5inch(somehow my uncle stumbled upon it at a salvage yard..and yes, its for SURE a 3.5inch lug) Here's out problem... What motor and track combo..? The 3.5 is about 75-80Lbs, and Im affraid the 500's wont turn it anough to keep us on top of the water. The 600 with the 136x3.5 would be nice.. but too heavy is another worry. 600 with a 121" would be too front heavy and MAY spin too much.

So again.. ANYONE have an idea how to get this to work right?
(AND for all you ppl that think im just an idiot and that we cant do make this happen.. just keep your comments to yourself)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
jsut wondering was that 3.5 inch track originally made for a sled?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You don't want big paddles/lugs for water. The bigger the paddles the more power you need. Go with the ripsaw, it will work awesome

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the 3.5 was made for sleds. I HATE saying anything bout a 3.5 cuz ppl always flip and start screamin bull**** and talkin crap till they see it..![:(!] but I Needed to know if it was good for water or not so i brought it up. Oh and I dont know about the ripsaw. my dad is a sled freakand he may be 35 but he acts 15.. lol he has a 93 XLT and he threw that track on last summer and was goin WOT across Dewey Lake all the time. So im kinda puzzled as to why ppl say shorter but not too long for water...?[?][?][?]

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Traction on water is amazing. The water has no where to go so the sled will hook up like crazy. You would want big paddles for something slow like one of those old boats. I have a .91 lightning track on the sled that I intend to race this summer. I know quite a few watercross racers and the most they run is a 1.25" lug.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Originally posted by artiksno340
[br]You don't want big paddles/lugs for water. The bigger the paddles the more power you need. Go with the ripsaw, it will work awesome
^^^ yes and no. it depends on what size motor your runnign if yoru running a 500 you wont want to big of lugs (ie no power to much the lugs) but hypothetically if your runnng a 1000 a 2.25 may be okay. smaller lugs will get more spin outa the track larger lugs will puch more water per paddle but will reduce the amount of track spin. thats why most water crossers run from a 1.25-1.75 inch track. the guy who works on my sled used to race hill cross and waterskip his sled in the summer for fun. he ran a 2in. by 144 in. but he was also using a 700 mountain max that was a total mod out. jmo

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
^^ I don't know a single watercross racer that runs more than a 1.25" lug.

Don't want to get into an argument, I'm just stating my personal experience.

·
Registered
94 Posts
cut the 3.5 inch down to like 1.5 or 1.75 and use the 500 or 600

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It takes alot of power to turn a tall lug track with authority. Remember, water is alot heavier than snow. You will be shocked at the traction that water offers.

Run that .85 track. They work great on the water.

Go to a race sometime and look at what those guys are turning for tracks. My race sled has a 133.5 x .81 lug track and it goes nicely. Almost no one runs anything bigger than a 1.25. The larger lugs just take too much power to turn.

Check out the link below this to see some pics of the sled running.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
You need a 1 inch or 1.25 anything more will have to much resistance and wont go as fast youll be chugging to much water sounds strange but its true! The bigger more powerfull the motor the better but the 500 should keep you on top! My 500 with a 1-3/8 flew over water no problem but i was told by many water-x racers 1-1.25 is the way to go even on a 121 or 128. Also the bigger the lug the heavier the track and more rotating mass to spin! Try your .85 first that will work fine just not the best!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts