Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first sled, 1998 Polaris XC 700. I would like to know if it is possible to swap the old Extra-10 for the M-10(maybe something else) to get a little extra height in the rear.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
When I bought my xc700 it had an M10 in it. Its a great suspension for what it was designed for. To smooth out the trail and make for a very comfortable ride. Its not an ideal suspension for riding hard, jumping, ditch banging, or drag racing. If thats how you wanna ride then in my opinion youre better off with a well set up xtra 10 with good shocks.

I took out the M10 and installed a pro-x skid and I am much happier with it. I just fits my riding style better than the M10. Granted the ride is a little stiffer, but it does what I need it to do.

Just a few other points to consider. The pro-x is about half the price to purchase than an M10. Theres actually quite a few on ebay right now going for pretty cheap. Pro-x parts are easier to come by and cheaper as well. If you get an M10 out of a polaris then you can get all the parts you need from a poo dealer. But if you get an aftermarket M10, not all the parts are not the same as a poo M10 and youll have to order stuff online.

Also, an edge skid is a good upgrade for many of the same reasons as the pro-x.

Reactions: 9536700

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks luke.

Now will the pro-x suspension bolt right in or will I have to make new hole mounts?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
98XC700CD said:
Thanks luke.

Now will the pro-x suspension bolt right in or will I have to make new hole mounts?
I just re-read your original post and relized that I thourally answered a question that you didnt ask, lol.

You will have to drill all new holes, not a big deal. Its easiest if you remove the track and reinstall the drive axle without the track because you have to measure directly off the drive axle and its a pita if the track is in the way.

http://www.jbshocks.com/tech.html

This site has good detailed info on how to do a swap as well as the measurements for hole locations. The owner of the site is a member on this forum (jbshocks) and is very knowlegable and a great guy to deal with.

Welcome to the site, btw. And great choice for a first sled.[thumb] Theres lots of guys on SF that really know a lot about these sleds and how to get the most out of them. Every one of them are always willing and eager to pass the info along.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aw man awsome!

Well this might just be my summer project now. It dosnt seem too hard to do.

Thanks for all the of the input. Im very happy with the snowmobile so far, she is a beauty and runs like a top!

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts