Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i was out playing around in some freadh powder and as i was coming to the crest of a hill and stopping i slipped and hit the kill switch. I attempted to restart my machine which is a 98 MM700 it would not start. the pull cord comes and and retracts as it should, but it is as if it will not engage with anything. tried starting it off the clutch itself but that was a no go. Got it towed to the shop at work to thaw it out and such but still wont start. any ideas on what the problem could be??

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i'm not sure may have fried the motor. how many miles does it have?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
it is possible that while playing in powder, some water got in, then when it stopped while still in powder more water got in then it fried the motor, escpecially having a high milage on it

·
Registered
615 Posts
did you try flipping the kill switch on and off a few times??
could have got ice in it and/or the kill switch could be alittle stuck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tried flipping the kill switch didnt work. when i was trying to get her going i never had a proper line to wrap around the clutch, only had a short shoelace, so i couldnt really get a descent tug on it but it was almost as if it was almost turing over enough to start but just not enough. it it possible that a spring or something has let go around the fly wheel. Just really hoping that its something relatively minor and not a fried motor.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i would say its your motor considering high miles. but it may not be. get a good belt and try and start it again with the clutch. you may have a wire that has coem loose somewhere. last year my neighbor killed his sled and rolled it unconnected a wire in his harness mount and took him acouple days to figure out what was wrong.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sounds to me that you have a problem with the dogs in your recoil. Take the recoil unit off and check it out. Obviously not an engine problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't personally think it's an engine problem it sounds like it's in your pull cord assembly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys unfortunately its a tough time to get anything done. would have had it looked after but all the tools here at work are under lock and key and i have to wait for the head of the shop is off until wednesday. will keep you updated on my situation. thanks again for your thoughts on what might be wrong with it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
yep recoil, remove cover and change the basket and and catch, cheap fix and easy to do just got done myself as mine was screwd. Make sure to use locktite on the bolts when replacing. Vibration will work the bolts loose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys, took it apart and had a look at it and the bolt/shaft which holds the springs together had been stripped and the dilodged the springs. Retreaded the bolt but not too keen on relying on this so i will be looking for a new housing. if anyone know where i could purchase said item it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts