Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.maine.gov/lor/brochures/LandownerLiability_2008.pdf

Thought I'd post this up. Very recently a retired Florida couple moved up to where else but Vacationland. They moved in and built a house and own nearly 10 acres of land. This land, is less than a half mile away from my house. Problem is, they post it every winter! For me to get onto the main trail I used to cross that land, but I have found another way to get access it now. Another thing is that on that land there are some very steep hills that develop the best snowdrifts I've ever personally seen in central Maine. There is a road the leads downhill from the group of hills to the corner of the Sandy River and that produces a nice strong wind which makes giant snow drifts. Its kind of like having a mini version of mountain riding literally in my back yard. It was kind of like the place to play with my friends when we were bored of trail riding, or just wanted to go have some fun. The first hill no one has made it up to my knowledge, the drift actually seems to curve back away from the hill at the top, insane!

I have actually talked with the owner and he is just paranoid that he will get sued from those wild adolescents. I didn't press it really hard but I did tell him that he was in no way responsible, regardless of the posted signs. BTW he doesn't put the signs up for hunting season.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's by the Norridgewock regional airport.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
900modman said:
in west bethel? a bunch of sand dunes hillclimbs and such
Over an hour and a half from there actually.

So is this guy talking about closing the trail for liability reasons?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No he has just closed off his property, which is perfectly legitimate, but i disagree with. Me and my neighbors used to go through there to get to the ITS trail... the ITS trail doesn't go through his property.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Like your saying he obviously has the right, it seems as though he has had a similar experience in the past that would make him do such a thing. As long as people are respectful of my land and the hour of the day then I cannot say that I really care. Respect goes along way and people need to show me that they cannot handle it before I would be willing to take it away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts