Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if maine has some sort of noise restriction on sleds? i cant seem to find any info about it and no one i ask has a clue, and i dont end up wanting to find out the hard way! thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
YES there are noise restrictions on sleds in Maine. Essentially the law states, if you exhaust is modified in any way, and the sled is louder, then it is illegal. As far as I know ME is the only state that is screwing people this much on exhaust. It also applies to any motor vehicle. It used to be rated at a set decibel level but i think since ME can't afford decibel meters and its hard to test the loudness of a sled they just went the worst way they could.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
They do,I believe it is the standard 88 db or quieter. Before anyone says i dont live in maine i used to.

Edit: oh man bames your warden comment just brought back a bunch of memories about a warden in the airliner/bangor area. Oh man that guy was a dick. waisted our time.

·
Registered
848 Posts
88 sounds familiar to me too.

It really all depends on how much of a dick your warden/officer is. I think you could get by with SLP without anyone saying anything.

·
Registered
848 Posts
1. Muffler required. A person may not operate a motor vehicle unless that vehicle is equipped with an adequate muffler properly maintained to prevent excessive or unusual noise. For purposes of this subsection, “excessive or unusual noise” includes motor noise emitted by a motor vehicle that is noticeably louder than similar vehicles in the environment.
[ 2009, c. 639, §1 (AMD) .]
2. Cutouts prohibited. Except as provided in subsection 5, a muffler or exhaust system may not be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device.
[ 1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF) .]
3. Amplification prohibited. A person may not operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system that has been modified when the result of that modification is the amplification or increase of noise emitted by the motor above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.

[Disappointed][}:)][:(]

There is also some other garbage clause that says that the vehicle can not be louder than other similar vehicles in the environment.

...There are too many old grouches in Maine that make these laws possible.

·
Registered
571 Posts
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/snowlaws.htm#noise There ya go. Most of the wardens I know won't write you a ticket for it. But if someone calls in a complaint on you youre gonna get one, so simply put, dont be ignorant if you have pipes/can on your sled. For example, dont ride near peoples houses or populated areas being stupid loud, go slow and be quiet and you should be fine. Out on the open trail you should have nothing to worry about. I had a can on my XCR, it was extremely loud, I was stopped many times for other things but the can was never mentioned. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I used to ride to school, and my fusion had a problem where it would foul unless you opened up occasionally. It would let you know a few seconds before it fouled by giving an awful bog for a quick second, and all you had to do was give it an open burst to the bar for only 2-3 seconds. Well, needless to say, one morning it did it twice to me on my way to school. Well, I was at school right before 8am. The warden was at my house by 9am, and my dad called me and let me know to be quiet on the way home, and that the warden suggested I put a quieter exhaust on ( which I did, I went back to my 28lb stock can over my 9lb dynoport ).

Dont be a complete idiot with it and make tons of noise and you'll be fine. I've seen game wardens on lakes while I go flying by on my Fusion with a dynoport can making an absolutely obnoxious amount of noise, just to stop at an ice shack and hang out, and they stayed there. Some wardens think they're god, while others are guys just like us.

·
Registered
848 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I used to ride to school, and my fusion had a problem where it would foul unless you opened up occasionally. It would let you know a few seconds before it fouled by giving an awful bog for a quick second, and all you had to do was give it an open burst to the bar for only 2-3 seconds. Well, needless to say, one morning it did it twice to me on my way to school. Well, I was at school right before 8am. The warden was at my house by 9am, and my dad called me and let me know to be quiet on the way home, and that the warden suggested I put a quieter exhaust on ( which I did, I went back to my 28lb stock can over my 9lb dynoport ).

Dont be a complete idiot with it and make tons of noise and you'll be fine. I've seen game wardens on lakes while I go flying by on my Fusion with a dynoport can making an absolutely obnoxious amount of noise, just to stop at an ice shack and hang out, and they stayed there. Some wardens think they're god, while others are guys just like us.
I agree, some wardens aren't dicks... I have yet to meet one though. I remember when i used to ride to school and i can remember on multiple occasions when i was walking through the hallways i could see where everyone parked their sleds and i can remember seeing a game warden parking his truck there, getting out and looking at everyone's registration, not cool.

Also last year, my family was ice fishing once and we were fishing all day no problem, didn't even have a flag all day, literally. So the girls get cold and drive back to the store to warm up and get food, leaving just me and my dad to watch our traps. It comes up that other family shows up so i go and find them so they can find our shack. About a minute, if that, after i left a game warden comes cruising right up to my father and fines him for having too many traps in........ coincidence? [Disappointed] He made it quick too so that he wouldn't have to deal with anyone coming back, which we did in less than 5 min. All day, no flags, but one ticket.. pretty much ruins the experience. I could talk about a ton of other instances from previous years where we get BS'd like that from officers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
things must be very different where i am from as i can't recall any sort of noise and modification bylaws for sleds or atv's. only things is can;t drive em in city limits, and to drive on trails you have to purchase a license plate

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bames said:
sledcrusher said:

I remember when i used to ride to school and i can remember on multiple occasions when i was walking through the hallways i could see where everyone parked their sleds and i can remember seeing a game warden parking his truck there, getting out and looking at everyone's registration, not cool.
He's doing his job, if they didn't check your registration then nobody would ever get their sleds registered. Of course they're going to check them. If you have nothing to hide then why worry about it?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I always register my sled, I'm sure that he was looking for other things than registration too. Something that annoys me is that officers will go all out on things like this when in fact they could be actually doing something else that benefits the safety of other people. Nabbing these kids for registration and other little things like that are more of ways for them to make money. And he most likely knew that they were kids so they are easy to deal with. This example isn't real significant, but it seems like officers play right on that line of harassment sometimes. I've been pulled over by town cops soo many times for BS things. Like having snow on my tailgate that covers some of my license plate, having a red sox plate border that slightly covered the word "vacationland" on the bottom, missing plate lights, tint on my car which was 35% but i did it myself instead of paying $250 for right around $30, and i've had 20% tint on the truck forever no one has said anything but the first night i tinted the car i get pulled over. My vehicles now are as stock and subtle as they can be so that I don't get harassed, it's really hard to modify or make your vehicle your own nowadays. I could go on and on about BS little things like those examples and most of which once you get pulled over they always suspect you to be drinking or doing something else illegal because you are a teenage male. They make so much money of BS little things like this all to drive, usually flat-footing, all their new dodge chargers and ford mustangs around town. Which by the way how unnecessary is it for police to have top of the line trim mustangs that are tinted out way below the legal limit for use on the highway mainly? I think they are just trying to provoke people to do something wrong with those cars, driving them in their own words recklessly.

Basically, based off my experience with, mainly local, law enforcement is that they do not 'protect' the greater good, they just fine people for small things so that they can collect money. There are rare circumstances when they are actually useful, but I think there are just too many for my largely unpopulated area. Last year alone, which was a bad year for snowmobiling, I got stopped 3 times on the trail by wardens for nothing just that they had the power to stop people. A few years ago.. maybe 4 or 5, we had a really early snowfall and wanted to take the sleds out so we went about a mile to the nearest gas station, but didn't register the sleds yet, yeah i know it was our fault. But we pull in to the area where sleds park and the second we kill the engines a truck that was camped out behind the gas station comes driving right up to us just as quickly as ever and two guys hop out right to us, wardens. I was underage and they had me call my father to come because he was responsible, and literally made us trailer the sleds a mile back to our house. That was my first experience with game wardens. A nice fine there too, and a couple of written warnings. I understand that they had the right to fine us and everything but to go as for to not let us ride them a mile back home is just a little over the top. I think that there are more reasonable ways of dealing discipline, things like this give them a bad name and make for a poorly functioning society.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Its the same as getting pulled over for no reason and getting your registration checked, even when the plates match you and your car and arent expired.

My sister crashed my snowmobile when I was 12. The machine was unregistered, on a private road that has literally less than 4 cars a day down it, less than 100 feet from our driveway. Somehow he made our road public ( the owner signed some agreement with the town or something ), and charged my dad with letting the unlawful use of a snowmobile by a minor, resulting in an accident. That was something like a $600 fine. Most wardens are dicks and our town is full of them. I actually took 3 pictures today of 3 separate trucks in one parking lot. One Dodge Ram 4 door hemi. One Chevy 2500 towing a fan boat. And one Chevy 2500 with the wardens wheeler in the back ( TRX 400 ). All wardens. 2 of them are known assholes, and the other just minds his own business.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That's what I'm saying lol. They can't really screw you over if you don't stop for them haha.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also the last time i checked the wardens only had 440's lol im not sure if they have anything else but it would be fairly easy if that is all that they have! haha

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
One warden here has a Z370, while the other has a Gade 800 Ptek.

Try not to be a jackass when you ride and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My home-town warden has an 800 triple doo. The guy he rides with has a pretty nice one too. I've only seen one warden sled that i wouldn't mind having, it was like an old touring. Most of them have nice sleds. I don't think it would be a matter of out running the sled, unless your on a lake, but I don't think a warden would drive erratically just to catch up with you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts