Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST BOUGHT A 1997 POLARIS XLT I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO FOR MAINTENANCE BEFORE I GO SLEDING REMEMBER I'M A FIRST TIME BUYER AND RIDER

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would start with going through and hitting all of the greese zerts, pick up some additive for the gas I use a product called Sea Foam. Change the chain case oil and check the tension of the chain. Look over the your choke cables and throttle cables make sure they don't hang up at all. Check to see what condition the track is in and the tension on that also. Sometimes there are strands of white fibers on the side of the track I always burn them off with a little torch. Check your Hi Fax too make sure those are in good shape. I would also take the carbs off, pull the bowl off and check to see if there is any gunk in there or anything gummed up at all. Then put it back together and ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
If you're new to sleds??

You can go to a Polaris dealer and get a repair manual.

This will show you all the things to do, where to find them, on the sled.

I'm not sure if they would have one for that year???

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
would see if it starts easy with the gas left on all night some of these had the all brass needle and seats and were prone to flood, another thing it's 0ld enough ifs its never had the carbs off ,need to be taken off any how and cleaned

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Hit the grease kerks (its kerks, not "zerts" BTW) with a grease gun, check the belt deflection, check the drive belt for wear, check the hyfax for wear, check the carbides for wear, put new sparkplugs in and run it.
You might want to check the jets and make sure they arent plugged. If the previous owner let the sled sit all summer with gas in it and didnt put some Sta-il in the fuel, chances are you have some plugged jets. Thats not a good thing, because that can cause your engine to sieze.
Thats pretty much it. Sleds are pretty much low-maintenance.
Also, every time you ride (either before you leave in the morning or when you get back in the evening) fill the oiltank with a good quality 2-cycle oil. Its a 2-stroke, so it will consume oil over time. Id personally recommned Polaris Premium Blend, but theres lots of good 2-cycle oils on the market. Not tryin to make you feel like and idiot, but you did say you are new to sleds, so I just wanted to make sure you were aware that you have to add oil on a regular basis.
One last thing, turn your "caps lock" off. When you post in all capital letters it gives the impression that you are yelling. Just a little forum ettiquite for ya..[;)]

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Hit the grease kerks (its kerks, not "zerts" BTW)

I always thought they were called zerks, but i am not sure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by Pance
[br]
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Hit the grease kerks (its kerks, not "zerts" BTW)

I always thought they were called zerks, but i am not sure.
Not that it matters but zerks is the correct term.

Not sure what a kerk is???? Wasn't that the guy who flew the enterprise, oh nevermind....I think that was Kirk.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
he is correct! they are grease zerk fittings not Kerks or Zerts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by Kubie
Not that it matters but zerks is the correct term.
It does matter. If we are schooling the unlearned shouldnt we at the very least use the correct terminology?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Grease the zurks on the rear suspension, there are some on the front suspension and sometimes one on the ski pivit point, one on the jackshaft or behind the secondary (back) clutch, and change the gas and oil, maybe clean the carbs and call her good! have fun!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Along with the other things mentioned, repack the wheel bearings in the wheels in the rear suspension, that is often overlooked. A stuck bearing will rob you of power and can tear stuff up big time. When I clean the old grease out of the bearings, if the bearing doesn't spin smooth as glass, a new bearing goes in the wheel; they are not expensive.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Another good idea is to buy some plastic zip-lock bags to put parts into. That way when you take something apart, takes all parts that belong together, put them into one bag, and label the bag with a marker. Make a mental or visual note of the order that the parts were taken off in also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts